F-15

They will probably figure out what their next step is to trying to make it a G9, G10, or kick corps out of their current positions. If you didn't get the memo, the G8 is kinda where the party is right now in DCI. I really don't think thats corps in the NG-8(not G-8) or F-15(Failing 15) are trying to stay there, much less shed light on the fact that they do not draw as much money into the activity as the rest of the top 8 corps. Look at the attendance of Open Class corps shows versus those of world class, and then look at the attendance of shows that only include one member of the G8 versus those that include multiple members. The results are similar - a little amount of people to a lot more amount of people.

The point of the G8 shows is to do something special to appeal to a larger audience with the best talent that DCI has to offer. If the F-15, or whatever you want to call them, do something different at their special, "Were not included!" shows - it defeats the purpose of pointless hours of arguing on DCP!

Keep it old school boys and girls - lets not feed this and try to make two separate drum corps circuits (That will ruin things further from the good old days that all the dinos love so much). These shows are experimental, and they need the top corps to give them a try before they even have the option of making the changes to the entire activity.

This is funny. Not the most expert thing I have ever seen, but funny. Edited by thirdcoast

The best long term strategy for DCI's future is to increase the number of people engaged in this activity. That is the number of people in the stands and the number of participants on the field. Those two are interrelated as the second often drives the first.

At some point, there is a critical mass of corps that are needed to sustain a meaningful tour and 7 is too low.

You are right about that.

HH

Seems like we're coming up with new slang all the time in the drum corps world.

First we had the G8 and now F15.

Simple request: Can we have a letter that appears a little later on in the alphabet?

The best long term strategy for DCI's future is to increase the number of people engaged in this activity. That is the number of people in the stands and the number of participants on the field. Those two are interrelated as the second often drives the first.

At some point, there is a critical mass of corps that are needed to sustain a meaningful tour and 7 is too low.

Can I '+1' this post over and over again? :worthy:

Both the Madison Scouts and the Boston Crusaders are on record as stating they would not participate in any sub division within the World Class Division ( such as a G-7 , G-8, or G-9 ) back in May of last year. Even if qualified, or invited. Now, who knows, that could change someday ( it did with one Corps ), but that's what I had heard anyway.

You may be mixing apples with oranges here. While those corps may be on record as opposing the G7 proposal back in May, they are not on record as opposing the TOC show concept being trialed in 2011, or vowing they'd never participate in that should it continue.

We agree. When I say elite, I'm referring absolutely to just three corps: Cadets, Cavies and BD. That's based on past performance as well as the reasonable certainty that all three will place in the top five nearly every year. I sometimes expand the category to include other corps whose reputation and results give them cache similar to the truly elite three. Those are Phantom and SCV. And I sometimes consider Crown and Bluecoats probationary members of the elite crew; they have to prove their longevity to pass probation, however.

Oh, so there are really only three "elite" corps.

Madison is an interesting case. Its history is legendary, but it hasn't cracked in the top five in 13 tries and hasn't won in 22. It's only broken the top eight once in 10 years, and during that same span missed finals three times (and was in range of doing so twice more). I know the lustre still lives for the legacy fans. I'm not sure the new generation is as excited. It might take a couple of top five placements to get back in the club. (Ironically, Madison was included in that first TOC in 2004. I dare say they wouldn't be today if such a concept were being considered for the first time now as it was then.)

Gosh, this is getting complicated. How would we codify this for determining who gets in the "club" and who doesn't? Or will DCI have to contact you each year to make those calls?

All this is to say this discussion no doubt has been confused by terms that don't necessarily work precisely in all situations. I agree TOC includes elite corps but doesn't define elite. TOC is only a convenient mechanism for identifying many of (though not necessarily all) the corps likely to generate excitement and revenue in the coming season.

Oh, so there are more than eight corps that are "likely to generate excitement and revenue"?

Moreover, if DCI is committed to the format (a series of "super" shows) I don't know of a better way to pick the line-up given the scheduling requirements, etc.

So the best way to pick lineups is NOT to choose just "elite" corps, and NOT to utilize all the revenue-generators, but instead, some arbitrary number in between?

• Like 1

Oh, so there are really only three "elite" corps.

Gosh, this is getting complicated. How would we codify this for determining who gets in the "club" and who doesn't? Or will DCI have to contact you each year to make those calls?

Oh, so there are more than eight corps that are "likely to generate excitement and revenue"?

So the best way to pick lineups is NOT to choose just "elite" corps, and NOT to utilize all the revenue-generators, but instead, some arbitrary number in between?

For the record, my name is Howard Hoffman. It's not Dan Acheson or George Hopkins, Dan Gibbs, Jeff Feilder or any other name of a person who actually can influence the direction of drum corps.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

You may be mixing apples with oranges here. While those corps may be on record as opposing the G7 proposal back in May, they are not on record as opposing the TOC show concept being trialed in 2011, or vowing they'd never participate in that should it continue.

Actually did they not vote yes to let it happen in 2011? I think the 23 Corps directors feel that Drum Corps needs to do something to get the people in the seats, or to not lose the 7 other Corps from their circuit. Dont know if this is the right choice, but at least they are trying something. If you ask me (and nobody is) the way to get more people in the seats is alot easier than the choices they are making, but as I said they are not asking me.

• Like 1

I am interested to know how things are going with the Corps not included in the g8? Does it seem that people are still donating to your Corps? Are we seeing more money coming in? How about auditions? From what I have seen alot of kids are going to alot of Corps this year not just the top scoring Corps and how is retention for the vets? Show selections are great so far for the F-15 which is a plus. I am really interested about these 15 Corps, for I am really looking forward to a seriously competitive season from the F-15. A step up, if you may say.

The Corps I do know about The Madison Scouts has had great turnouts for there camps but are still looking for upper leads (screamers as I call them) so if anybody knows of any we are looking for some more, our staff is back for 2011 and are ready to blow people away with a great show for 2011. The Corps finacially is moving in the right direction so that is a plus. So in other words thing are looking great for 2011, how about everyone else? Just kinda want to know how the other 14 are doing and if things are needed and how we fans can help. Good luck to everyone, 2011 is going to be a special year.