a new champ?

This is the proposal that I would like to make at the next DCA Rules Congress:

DCA Parity -- Rule Change Proposal

Whereas, in the business interests of Drum Corps Associates and all of its member corps,

1.1 Any DCA corps that has won three consecutive DCA Championships shall be declared a "DCA Grand Champion," and shall automatically be put into competitive-exhibition status for the following DCA World Championship.

1.2 Every DCA corps must allow and encourage its members to participate in I&E, and no corps is allowed to conduct an unrelated rehearsal or sectional on the I&E Performance Night.

Having the same corps win year after year after year is certainly not a good result for marketing a competitive "world championship" event to the general public.

Please understand, I'm not saying those titles were not well-deserved .... but from an overall drum corps activity-marketing aspect, some semblance of competitive parity is much healthier and better for the drum corps acitivty as a whole. Similarly, the worst thing that could possibly happen for the NFL is for the Steelers, for example, to win the next eight Super Bowls ... the viewership and fans would begin to die off.

The obvious problem with drum corps is "how" does one achieve parity without a draft or some other form of control over the product of the activity. Some marching band circuits accomplish this by not allowing a repeat champion in consecutive years. That wouldn't work in DCA, and I am not sure what else would.

But, food for thought ... this extreme lack of parity, IMO, is damging to our activity in terms of growth of the fan base.

you have talked a lot about marketing over the last few years,............so what is your marketing plan?,..........kick corps out of DCA until the ones you support win?,..............should BD get kicked out of DCI?,............oh that's right, they already quit...............