New System Blue SB-30 Euphonium Hybrid

Jeff DeMello

Last night at the first Blue Devils camp I was able to play the new SB30 King System Blue Euphonium Hybrid for about 5 minutes. In the last almost 40 years I've played a number of different baritones and euphoniums, the nicest being a $7,000 Willson 2900 series Euph.

I've got to say, that this new horn is the *closest* horn I've ever played to match the Willson. Plus, the construction is fantastic, and superbly balanced to hold. Congrats to John Meehan and the System Blue team on producing such an amazing instrument, which WILL revolutionize the lower marching brass sound.

Last night at the first Blue Devils camp I was able to play the new SB30 King System Blue Euphonium Hybrid for about 5 minutes. In the last almost 40 years I've played a number of different baritones and euphoniums, the nicest being a $7,000 Willson 2900 series Euph.

I've got to say, that this new horn is the *closest* horn I've ever played to match the Willson. Plus, the construction is fantastic, and superbly balanced to hold. Congrats to John Meehan and the System Blue team on producing such an amazing instrument, which WILL revolutionize the lower marching brass sound.

Another 4-valve marching tuba...what a waste.

I want either:

1) a 3-valve compensating system, or

2) a 3-valve system with slip-slide mechanism for 3rd valve slide. (not a 1.5" trigger!)

Both of those systems are cheaper and lighter than a 4V system. Yamaha is so close, but refuses to budge...and why should they? Half of top 12 is using them, and sound great. Is anyone complaining about Crown or Bluecoats tubas? Didn't think so...but they don't exactly "push the chromatic envelope" like Blue Devils either.

Please,please,Mega Millions, come my way!

Signed,

Someone with hands-on knowledge of every G and Bb marching contra/tuba out there except the new tuba in the video, and the "1st valve triggered King." (didn't Phantom play something like that a few years ago?)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another 4-valve marching tuba...what a waste.

I want either:

1) a 3-valve compensating system, or

2) a 3-valve system with slip-slide mechanism for 3rd valve slide. (not a 1.5" trigger!)

Both of those systems are cheaper and lighter than a 4V system. Yamaha is so close, but refuses to budge...and why should they? Half of top 12 is using them, and sound great. Is anyone complaining about Crown or Bluecoats tubas? Didn't think so...but they don't exactly "push the chromatic envelope" like Blue Devils either.

Please,please,Mega Millions, come my way!

Signed,

Someone with hands-on knowledge of every G and Bb marching contra/tuba out there except the new tuba in the video, and the "1st valve triggered King." (didn't Phantom play something like that a few years ago?)

I would just be excited for the changes they've made to the design for a possible peripheral out of the left eye.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got to check these and the new contras out at TMEA, very nicely done. I talked with John Meehan and the CS marching brass rep for a bit about them, and I like the way the contra feels; it's got a real nice weight and balance without sacrificing the solid construction a good marching horn needs. I also like that they put the fourth valve where it belongs, in line with the other valves. A definite step up from the Ultimate contras. Unfortunately, the leadpipe had gotten separated from the horn somehow during the process of shipping everything to the show, so I wasn't able to play it. I'm no bari player so I don't know if I'm qualified to give a good comparison playing-wise to other models, but it sounds and feels very good; I like the general idea behind the horn and I'll be curious to hear how it sounds on the field.

On the flip side, that Jupiter contra is a heavy #####. I'd be curious to know what sort of brass they're using versus the Kanstuls they've copied, and if they're trying to make up for using cheaper brass with extra bracing and soldering. It blows fine, but it just isn't as well-balanced as a real Kanstul. It definitely feels solid though.

Edited by Dave
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Last night at the first Blue Devils camp I was able to play the new SB30 King System Blue Euphonium Hybrid for about 5 minutes.

[snip]

I've got to say, that this new horn is the *closest* horn I've ever played to match the Willson. Plus, the construction is fantastic, and superbly balanced to hold...

I've looked but can't find much in the way of specs. What's it weight, length, bell size etc?.