Why not french horns

AmelloGuy

I for one am a strong proponent of frenchies. I love the early 80's sounds of the french horns, mello's and fluegels together. There is nothing better IMO. Many corps nowadays seem to just have less than 15 mello's as their mid voice. I think they should at LEAST have 15 voices in the mids. Thats just my peragative. Cadets seems to be the only corps that feature the mid voices. One of my all time fav shows has to be 91 Star. A show where the mids were featured. I just think it was awesome. The sops were just around for textuaral sounds, and supported the mids. Good times!

I just think they are too hard to control with today's visual demands. I played a concert horn since I was 8, a v/r frenchie my entire junior years and I played a 3-V kanstul in 2000 and now I play mellophone for the last two seasons. The mello is MUCH easier to play.

I'm old. I don't need to work that hard now. :P

I'm glad you started this topic. Reminds me to check and see if the valves are moving on my frenchie, I haven't played it in so long. :huh:

I for one am a strong proponent of frenchies. I love the early 80's sounds of the french horns, mello's and fluegels together. There is nothing better IMO. Many corps nowadays seem to just have less than 15 mello's as their mid voice. I think they should at LEAST have 15 voices in the mids. Thats just my peragative. Cadets seems to be the only corps that feature the mid voices. One of my all time fav shows has to be 91 Star. A show where the mids were featured. I just think it was awesome. The sops were just around for textuaral sounds, and supported the mids. Good times!

French horns are difficult to play under the modern marching demands placed upon the performer. It would be difficult to maintain a stable sound. Mellophones with their projection and larger mouthpiece are easier to play during movement. One problem with mellophones is that they tend to be "over played" and can sound harsh, out of tune and edgy.

Kanstul is working on a prototype horn - the marching Tenor Horn. Based on the traditional brass band alto/tenor horn (there are no french horns in British brass bands) it has the elegant sound, intonation and stability that could work well in modern corps and band arrangements. It uses a larger mouthpiece, making it easier to play while performing high velocity drill. The range of the horn, which is in the key of F, is still that of the mellophone, flugel or french horn but fits nicely under the lower sops and above the baritones.

No pictures yet, but a prototype met with positive response at the Kanstul booth at the Cerritos show last Friday evening.

Comments anyone??

(Mrshowfan, great avatar - Bill Chase rocks!)

Sounds like a great idea. I think that it could become popular with corps. There is always a cost issue. I wonder how much $ it is. I say if it sounds good, buy it. Do you think that it would replace the mello's entirely, or just be its own section of tenors. (i.e. half mello, half tenor line)?

Just wondering. I'll have to check out the Kanstul tent this comming weekend.

Well there are those Bb marching french horns with mellophone bores. I think Holton makes them. Personally I think they are the biggest pieces of crap in the world, but horn players who are serious concert players seem to like them.

When I think of the middle section, I really like the piercing sound a mellophone can offer. If you put a mid section out there that is too dark, then it gets sorta lost.

thats my $.02

oh and to add since you can use all keyed instruments, I would LOVE to see a CC contra.

Thought I would throw that in.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried playing a french horn years ago. To play one standing still is one thing, to play one marching should be left to those that can do it from a generation ago. It does add an extra voice, but nowaday, kids can't march and play it at the same time, so no corps use them anymore.IMHO OK.