Sevierville, TN REVIEW

Ok so here's my review from last night's show...

has seats right on the 45 pretty high up so could see and hear very well

8th place - 39.2 - Div. II/III

Scenic City

Well, I felt really bad for them... Scenic City got stuck in a wreck (they weren't involved in) in Knoxville and was late to the show so they had to go last AFTER CADETS!!! DCI, why couldn't you have let them perform directly after intermission???? It would have been much easier on them as you can imagine going after Cadets. Anyways, they held their own pretty good... small corps 19 or so brass, 3 snares, 2 tenors, 3 basses (had 1 bass hole) and a VERY nice sized pit (i felt they need to add more impact and punch from the pit however). Brand new instruments you could tell. Well... they didn't fall apart and they move very well for a small corps. Snares had a few nice rolls, but some very dirty moments as well. Once they clean it up and get some confidence, they should be good. It' s a shame they don't have a lot more people because those uniforms (possibly my favorite of the night) would look SO NICE with a full sized corps. Wish them well in the future... hope to see them grow.

7th place - 48.7 - Div. II/III

Memphis Sound

Debut show ... and I applaud them for that. To be honest, I was expecting more though. Staff listen up... DO NOT pick a show that is WAY OVER their heads next season! This show almost fell apart numerous times and they just couldn't handle it. I found myself cringing a few times. Pretty good sized drumline but wow a lot of dirt... I honestly thought they were scored too high as I'm sure sized helped them visualy over scenic. First show... great job... but I don't see them beating ANY Div. II corps this season. Don't bite off more than you can chew your first year show wise... you aren't Star or Magic.

6th place - 59.9

Carolina Crown

Ok... first of all, I'm really not sure I like those uniforms. They look dirty already. Reminds me of something a first year corps might throw together because they couldn't afford a real detailed fancy uniform. With that out of the way... welcome back crown! Nice power... and very impressive and balanced hornline. Drumline had a lot of dirty moments but had some nice parts. Crown is MUCH better than this time last season, but they still have a lot of dirt to clean (as does everyone though). Don't know if they'll make it back in the top 12, depends on everyone else and how much they clean it up... but a very nice show concept and the guard unis looked nice out there (shiny gold and metalic spandex-like).

5th place - 61.35

Magic of Orlando

Wow, I just not realised how close Crown's score was to Magic. haha.. well Magic, I was expecting more. As someone else said, I too enjoyed it more listening to it online then watching it. They seemed to have a few holes (as did crown) and really weren't as loud as I had expected either. Drumline is much better... however, they weren't playing cleanly at all. Clean up the drill... but I don't see Magic in the top 7

4th place - 65.0

Spirit

OMG WHAT A HORNLINE! I mean MAJOR LOUD... them and cadets TIE for the amount of volume they produced tonight! Their show about "Time" was very nicely designed... and I tell ya I thought they should have beaten the bluecoats hands down personally. They were the cleanest corps of the night up to this point and very impressive confidence wise too. Drumline was nice... snares need scoops though but that's a good thing! Spirit may shock a lot of people this year...

3rd place - 67.60

Bluecoats

Not the Bluecoats I was expecting... drill wasn't too dirty, but the show lacked emotion and punch. Are Bluecoats the so-called Glassmen "boring" this year? Drumline was pretty good, but easy parts. A lot of moment (dance-like) out of the hornline. I think they need to add more GE to the show... and my guess would be they either only beat Spirit because they were a tad cleaner or just because they are the Bluecoats?(shrugs) They need some changes or they may get passed

2nd place - 74.35

Cadets

WOW...WOW...and WOW AGAIN!!! This was cadets first show of the season and they just now finished the closer??? WOW! Tons of energy... loud hornline... very nice drumline (still a lil dirt though) and guard was great too. They are doing a lot of drill and FAST TEMPOS (and it's only June). Malaguena cooked...and right into Rocky Point.. it's like the excitement never stops until the last note. They have a Z-pull at the end and it's kinda neat...because it develops slow... so you can see it coming :) Like the horn arranging at the end as they throw in a lil bit of each tune. Had some holes tonight though (1 snare, mello, guard) not sure why.. prob. sick or something. Drumline has some UNBELIEVEABLE parts... still dirty though thats why cavies beat them in percussion... Cadets has an awesome pit feature in Malaguena also. Crowd loved them... a lot of people actually thought they might win. One guy around me commented "if this is what they are like at their first show and they just finished the closer, I can't wait to see how good it is going to be when they clean this up.. wow"

1st place - 76.25

Cavaliers

UNBELIEVEABLE DRILL (as usual) music... well... they had a cool lil groove section in there.. other than that... I don't remember 1 thing about it. Why can't cavies pick some better music and THEN write their awesome drill to it. Drumline was good... alot of visual stuff in the snare line and split parts. What can you say about their drill... just amazing and extremely clean in June. That is what concerns me however... they haven't finished the end of their show as it just ends all of a sudden... however... will cavies peak too soon. This is very possible if you ask me. I'm sure BD and Cadets (and maybe Phantom and SCV) will be on their heals catching up as they clean. less then 2 points from both Phantom and Cadets already... they may get caught.. who knows. Cadets guard beat them tonight... speaking of guard, THOSE ARE TERRIBLE GUARD UNIFORMS UGH! Great job by the cavies... awesome drill... but kinda snoozer music for the most part. Looks like they may repeat again this season... but a lot of other corps aren't gonna let that happen I don't think.

Edited by DCIFanOfAllDivisions

Cadets have had a couple of season-ending injuries the past couple of weeks. Practicing that drill in the non-stop rain has take its toll. I think they should be able to fill or close the holes over the next week.

Edited by ksdaveb

however... will cavies peak too soon. This is very possible if you ask me. I'm sure BD and Cadets (and maybe Phantom and SCV) will be on their heals catching up as they clean. less then 2 points from both Phantom and Cadets already... they may get caught.. who knows.

Hehe, it starts.... I remember hearing this all of last year...

I don't see them beating ANY Div. II corps this season.

Whoa. Harsh; two words: first show. We only have a few people in the corps who have marched corps before, and for almost everyone, it was their first performance. Kennesaw, GA was a much better show if you got to see that, although the scores from the night may not exactly reflect that.....

My understanding about the Memphis show is that the judges (and others) think the drill is terrible - that it has no correlation to the music at all. (I heard a couple of staff members talkjing about their judges tapes outside the Atlanta show last night).

I suspect you'll get a rewrite in the not too distant future. You have your work cut out for you. Your show is much more complex than any others I've seen in Div. II/III.

Good luck for the rest of the season ;-)

CS