January 29, 2011

great reply's from our community! :thumbup:

even more egregious[or humorous depending on how you see it :w00t: ]some audience members start their screaming and shrieking the moment the equipment is released from the hand! :rolleyes:

another observation in the world classes are super talented performers being given substandard show design and poor programming choices. :thumbdown:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agrees with dugg

stick stack - kinda kidding - I do understand and agree to a point. I personally think it's exhausting to pat these kids on the head all the time. in my day if you dropped you got a drill book thrown at your head..... LOL

but i do get what you're saying..... how about a golf clap instead of screams for mediocre? deal? :thumbup:

I wish that people would let students in every class just have fun performing. Clap for everyone in every class. If you want perfect technique don't watch guard because even the best guards always have a weakest member who doesn't have perfect technique.

another observation in the world classes are super talented performers being given substandard show design and poor programming choices. :thumbdown:

So which guards are you talking about?

agrees with dugg

stick stack - kinda kidding - I do understand and agree to a point. I personally think it's exhausting to pat these kids on the head all the time. in my day if you dropped you got a drill book thrown at your head..... LOL

but i do get what you're saying..... how about a golf clap instead of screams for mediocre? deal? :thumbup:

Actually, golf claps ARE my policy for that kind of stuff. Unfortunately, at the last show I went to, there was virtually no clapping until the world class. Then again, there was virtually no audience until the world class either... which is sad! Color guard is not just about the top class people! Then again, if you don't feel inclined to cheer for middle to lower tier world class, you're probably not going to appreciate watching the other classes one bit.

Edited by Stick Stack

Two examples come to mind: Santa Clara Vanguard and Onyx last year. There were so many OMG moments during both shows that didn't involve tosses at all, but the majority of applause was for the high tosses (all caught solidly and with wonderful technique). I still get chills watching the videos of both these shows, and we've shown them multiple times to our kids to show where and why these shows were so wonderful in the choreography, staging, and exquisite use of breath, flow, and technique in the extremely long phrases of work at varying tempos used in both these shows.

I know you didn't intend to make this a literal argument, but I have to disagree.

Yes, there are definitely plenty of moments during a performance that exhibit either great skill, phenomenal talent, or excellent/breath-taking design... and you stop and go... 'um...why isn't anyone applauding?' And yes, these moments that SHOULD be rewarded with applause. It seems like audiences only applaud for stuff that, on the surface, is exciting, such as big tosses and obvious visual/musical "moments."

But I won't suppress applause for a lousy catch or a lack of technique. These kids are pouring their hearts out onto the floor and trying their hardest. As we all know, there are times when being on that floor is TOUGH and takes a lot of courage. World class or B class, it doesn't matter. There is no reward for these kids other than the applause they receive from the audience, and they deserve that.

also seen are horrible fuette turns performed with little or no understanding or demostration of proper technique and heinous "dinoasaur" free hands under tosses! :devil:

Edited by dugg

i know i must sound mean and bitter but i foolishly invested heavily in wgi technique futures in the late 90's and now i'm left penniless,all my stock practically worthless! :doh:

....and while i'm on a rant all you people who think you are exploring the triad by running around the floor doing an occasional saute while cradling and tucking your rifle/sabre/flag are sadly mistaken. :rock:

Edited by dugg

i know i must sound mean and bitter but i foolishly invested heavily in wgi technique futures in the late 90's and now i'm left penniless,all my stock practically worthless! :doh:

....and while i'm on a rant all you people who think you are exploring the triad by running around the floor doing an occasional saute while cradling and tucking your rifle/sabre/flag are sadly mistaken. :rock:

Touche Mon Ami! Scurrying back and forth and rushing through every phrase to get to the next toss should NOT be tolerated and SHOULD be addressed by those who are adjudicating....Hear that JUDGES?!?!?