Cerritos, CA review

well first, let me start by saying that i dont have much time so i will review D1 quickly, and that everyone seems so much better than last year at this time.

Pacific Crest - They brought back the silver boxes, which had some cool effects, but seemed a bit overused. The show has potential but was definitely the dirtiest of the night, in every caption. The visual program is the biggest weakness right now, and the drill design was not up to the standards of the other corps here. The guard has the potential to be very good once they get everything cleaned up. Some good GE potential once cleaned.

Actual Score - 63.85

My Score - 60.2

Mandarins - this corps is much bigger than in years past. I, and those around me, were extremely impressed with the sound they put out. It was very controlled and high in tone quality for this time of year. Definitely the best sounding brass line at this point in the show. The feet were also pretty good for only being June 20. Percussion was impressive and complemented the music well. As a person who hasnt been a big Mandarins fan in the past, i really liked this show, and felt it should have been scored much higher than it was. We were all very surprised, not only by how high their performance quality was, but also by how low their score was. I heard many that thought that they should have placed ahead of PC.

Actual Score - 61.9

My Score - 62.4

Blue Knights - We had no idea what to expect out of this corps because we had heard absolutely nothing coming out of Denver. So we figured its either gotta be pretty good or pretty bad. DEFINITELY PRETTY GOOD. Their sound is already leaps and bounds ahead of last year. They are balanced, with good tone and control. Their feet are looking very good in a demanding visual program, and the guard is very good as usual. Our jaws were dropped by how great they were looking and sounding, especially in comparison the past 2 years at this time. They were the talk of the night. They WANT their spot back in finals.

Actual Score -65.70

My Score - 67.3

Santa Clara Vanguard - very very good show concept. the way the opener unfolds as they reach the first impact is absolutely awesome. the "ballad" which they posted a clip of, is gonna be great this year. The drill is so well designed, but as demanding as ever, and so its still dirty right now. The whole show needs a lot of cleaning, but what else is new for SCV at this time of year? It has great potential once everything gets clean. The show concept is very well carried out throughout. There are often percussion or guard members moving through the hornline as a "pathway". AWESOME percussion feature, and they are on fire right now.

Actual Score - 71.9

My Score - agree

Blue Devils - i will give them that i enjoy this show more than last years. the arrangements are less choppy, the guard is less gimmicky (ie, no hair, more work), and the percussion has the racks back. as like many other years, i feel that their visual demand and design is not as high as other top 4 corps. they are pretty loud and sounding pretty blended and in tune so far. i wont spoil it, but they have a very unique spin on the Bernstein piece which the crowd liked. the guard is already looking great as well, and are much better integrated into this years show. i think the visual design will hold them back, but then again i say that every year and DCI doesnt agree.

Actual Score - 74.9

My Score - agree

Edited by BennyASU

Benny, What are BD and SCV wearing ?? What are the opening set-ups like ???

Great review. You like BD...that says alot........Not raving as much as I would have (seriously) expected over SCV...any tricks ?? unique moments ?? Get the time and tell more !!! :(

~G~

Great review. You like BD...that says alot........Not raving as much as I would have (seriously) expected over SCV...any tricks ?? unique moments ?? Get the time and tell more !!! :(

~G~

~G~....

If I remember right........

SCVs set up is~ half the Corps on the old Starting Line and half on the old Finish Line.

As the Show begins, the left side moves first, then the right, then the left, then the right. (As if your are watching a Tennis Match. :)

These kids are on the move, fast, and don't stop........ this show once again is very difficult.

I thought all the coprs were better this year than last.

I was extremely shocked when they announced that PC beat Mandarins. In the past, I was never a big Mandarins fan, but after I saw them on Friday night, I became a new fan. What a big improvement over the past! As for PC, all I can say is they have some work to do. The feet were a dirty. The drill design was weak too compared to other Div. 1 corps. This show has GE potential, its got a long way to go though.

Edited by BennyASU

~G~

sorry G, i literally had about 10 minutes to write that review before we took off for Disneyland....ill have a full CA weekend review later today. But i just got home (at 7 am!) from CA and am exhausted, and still wanna watch the SCV Alumni Corps on the 35th anniversary DVD that i bought :) Full review later today...