1979 Guardsmen DCI.org Download of the Week

This week's Download of the Week is the 1979 Guardsmen. Take a listen to the clip of the horn line. If you weren't around for this corps, this might surprise you.

You may download the video of this performance at a reduced rate, and also download the entire finalists mp3 collection from 1979 for 25% off.

This week's Download of the Week is the 1979 Guardsmen. Take a listen to the clip of the horn line. If you weren't around for this corps, this might surprise you.

You may download the video of this performance at a reduced rate, and also download the entire finalists mp3 collection from 1979 for 25% off.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!! As a current MM, this is my favorite show of the 70's!! That brass book/hornline is insane!

Too bad the audio and video wasn't this clear during the original PBS broadcast, thanks Mike. LOL, this was the night we had a Sr show at Lewistown, PA that got postponed due to rain. Hauled butt home to catch DCI and walked in soaking wet (we also had a parade that was NOT cancelled) to hear 'And after tonight, many of these young people will never be able to play Drum Corps again'. Had to go back outside to releive some swear words.....

Not bad for a bunch of people playing with their thumbs. :devil::tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Mike,

Thanks for remembering us. That summer of '79 was a great ride!

I addition to the relatively unknown Tim Salzman, our drum instructor at the time was also a relatively unknown - Jim Campbell, later of Cavies fame.

Playing in that hornline was one of my most cherished memories, as are those people.

A few other memories from that summer;

-Being a member of the "Kentucky Guardsmen", and all my other KY G-men friends.

-The Murray KY show judged by the audience because the judges couldn't get there. Unfortunately for all the other groups, all of the home HS bands of the KY Guardsmen (about 12 of us) were in attendance, and we played all the solos that night, and played Dixie at the end of of our warm-up of God Save the Queen. No one else even had a chance...

-Chasing SCV into Atlanta and creeping to within a few tenths, ready to finally catch them, and then it rained. We didn't see them again until finals.

-Gayle Royer telling us after we played for SCV under the stands at the above show "If we could put your horn line and our drum line together". Oh the possibilities...(I still don't think our drum line was that weak, just that Jim Campbell was ahead of his time and some people just didn't get it, but I'm a horn guy)

-At DCI Canada, hearing Phantom being called out for high horns, and then a few minutes later the announcer sheepishly having to announce that we had actually won horns that night.

-Winning American International Open in Butler PA, I believe our only major championship.

-The disappointment at out prelims score (83WTF!!!!!!!!! is all I remember. Never did find out how many tenths, not that it would have mattered) after beating everyone except BD, PR, SCV, and Spirit leading up to finals week. I think we played just a little angry at finals.

And in the drum corps version of the Circle of Life, in Teal Sound on '08 I instructed the son of one of the other members of our '79 French Horn line.

P.S. - JimF-Low Bari, we had the second set of Dynasty 2 upright valve bugles ever produced, but I did play with my thumb up to '78!

Edited by Steve Knob

Too bad the audio and video wasn't this clear during the original PBS broadcast, thanks Mike. LOL, this was the night we had a Sr show at Lewistown, PA that got postponed due to rain. Hauled butt home to catch DCI and walked in soaking wet (we also had a parade that was NOT cancelled) to hear 'And after tonight, many of these young people will never be able to play Drum Corps again'. Had to go back outside to releive some swear words.....

Not bad for a bunch of people playing with their thumbs. :devil::tongue:

Kind of like scheduling a major league football game the same night as the Super Bowl.

Kind of like scheduling a major league football game the same night as the Super Bowl.

No idea why this show was so late, usually it was in late June. Mebbe a local event (not a whole lot of there... there) going on.

And Steve, thanks for the info. Forgot 1979 DCI was going to 2v. LOL, played a 2v Deg when I came back to corps in 2004.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Mike,

-Chasing SCV into Atlanta and creeping to within a few tenths, ready to finally catch them, and then it rained.

-

Steve, you guys weren't the only ones chomping at the bit with SCV in their sites that night. This was Spirit's home show and we were never more ready for a show than we were that night. That unfortunate thunderstorm cheated everyone out of what I KNOW would have been a Spirit of Atlanta performance of a lifetime. The Guardsmen had an awesome horn line that year, as good as any in the top 3 or 4.

Edited by Russellrks

Guardsmen had a great horn line that year!!! :thumbup:

Guardsmen had a great horn line that year!!! :thumbup:

When one reads the article, they'll find out just how great it was.

Another quick note-

On our finals tape the musical analysis judge told us we deserved a perfect 10 (same as BD), but he couldn't give it to us because we came on so early.

I still think that that horn line and color guard(with more modern work), a modern drum line and modern drill would be a pretty dangerous combination today.

And Russell, we WERE 4th that year! Glad to see you on here, it was a pleasure working with you in 83 at Suncoast.

Edited by Steve Knob