1965 VFW Breakdowns

Hmmmm ... something doesn't add up ... that total is only 48.5 with the penalty ... I think some GE scores are missing ... I know we were in in 15th but thought we scored in the 60's ...

Thanks,

Andy

You add the 20 points for inspection and cadence, and you get your final score of 68.50.

I didn't include the inspection and cadence scores, because they weren't shown on the recap pictured in this thread.

You add the 20 points for inspection and cadence, and you get your final score of 68.50.

I didn't include the inspection and cadence scores, because they weren't shown on the recap pictured in this thread.

Yikes! ... totally forgot about that! ... and ... didn't realize we had a 2 pt. penalty ...

:-)

Yikes! ... totally forgot about that! ... and ... didn't realize we had a 2 pt. penalty ...

Yeah, Andy....whatever the 2 point penalty was for, apparently it wasn't there at prelims, since you had a

penalty-free score then. The only other penalties given at finals (to the other corps) were for one-tenth of a point.

Yeah, Andy....whatever the 2 point penalty was for, apparently it wasn't there at prelims, since you had a

penalty-free score then. The only other penalties given at finals (to the other corps) were for one-tenth of a point.

Makes me feel better all these years later knowing we would have beat Madison ... oh well ... making finals was reward enough after the fiasco in Cleveland where Garfield got a 30 in M&M instead of a 20, valuting them past us and the Racine Scouts ... ugh ... that has got to rank up there as the all time tabulation error ... thanks Tony(hic) S ...

:glare:

making finals was reward enough after the fiasco in Cleveland where Garfield got a 30 in M&M instead of a 20, valuting them past us and the Racine Scouts ... ugh ... that has got to rank up there as the all time tabulation error ... thanks Tony(hic) S ...

That one truly is probably the biggest blunder in major contest history, yet lots of people have never heard about it.

For those not familiar with this incident....Garfield was given a prelim M & M score of 30.25, which, due to a tabulation error, was 5 points higher than it should have been. (Somehow nobody noticed until later.) Thus they made finals as the 12th place corps, even though they REALLY should have been 24th place!!

That one truly is probably the biggest blunder in major contest history, yet lots of people have never heard about it.

For those not familiar with this incident....Garfield was given a prelim M & M score of 30.25, which, due to a tabulation error, was 5 points higher than it should have been. (Somehow nobody noticed until later.) Thus they made finals as the 12th place corps, even though they REALLY should have been 24th place!!

Wow! Wow! Wow!

BTW, if you have the rest of the breakdowns...please feel free to add them or a link to them in here.

I only posted what they had in the magazine that I was working on.

I was also there on top of a stack of tables...only 10 years old mind you...and not scared of much. Hadnt made the BIG corps yet....LOL

Ya know some people bust Batavia's chops,but when you look over these national recaps, it seems like we were always in there. Maybe the middle of the pack but always in finals.

Donny

Joe's that year was classic old-time drum corps. Cozzolino at his best! A horn line that could blow the stands down and a drum line with chops to spare. I love the NYS A.L. championship recording that year by Fleetwood.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

BTW, if you have the rest of the breakdowns...please feel free to add them or a link to them in here.

I only posted what they had in the magazine that I was working on.

Just to clarify...the Garfield "incident" happened at the 1964 VFW in Cleveland, so it's off-topic from your original 1965 posting, Nanci.

Makes me feel better all these years later knowing we would have beat Madison ... oh well ... making finals was reward enough after the fiasco in Cleveland where Garfield got a 30 in M&M instead of a 20, valuting them past us and the Racine Scouts ... ugh ... that has got to rank up there as the all time tabulation error ... thanks Tony(hic) S ...

:glare:

As I remember that '64 Cleveland fiasco....no one got the break-downs until a month after the show. If Garfield got a PERFECT score of 30.0, they would have missed finals and PAL and Scouts (I think) would have been in!

Politics played a HUGE role back then.

I also remember seeing Troopers at prelims, thinking they were Custers Brigade, until I saw their company front go by me.....as one person....a perfect company front....totally awesome!