Newbie from New York City!

Hi all!

New guy on here from Manhattan, NY. Not too many people around here even know what drum corps is (and if they do, they generally think of bad marching bands that play top 40 and showtunes), so I can't wait to actually have people I can talk about it with. I've actually been a frequent visitor to these forums for a couple of years now, and decided that this summer was as good of a time as any to start getting more involved in the discussions.

I'm originally from VA, and went to a high school that had a very small, but very good marching band. Those of us who were really hardcore spent our summers getting to as many DCI events as we could while preparing for our own competition seasons. I miss those days quite a lot. I left VA to go to college in NY (Columbia U) and study music, focusing on musical theatre composition, but a few years later and I've switched my track back to what I really love: wind band conducting. I've picked up some great outside-the-band-world experience that I hope to bring into my eventual career as a band director (HS, college, or otherwise). But I've never lost touch with DCI. Though I've never marched with a corps myself (tried out once in HS though!), I've always kept a very close watch on each season. Last summer, my best friend and I drove from VA to Indianapolis (a solid 17 hours, it was awesome) for finals. If I were to choose a favorite corps, I guess I'd have to put myself behind Crown, though I grew up watching the Cadets (my band director's favorite). I got into DCI right around that Crown started becoming a top tier corps, so I suppose you could say I feel like they're a small part of my youth. :) Indeed, given the academic nature of my music department here at Columbia, I've been known by my professors to write many a paper on DCI. I think it's come to a point where drum corps deserves some good study and academic research, given how much it's grown as an art form.

On a less-musical note (hah), I also love film (particularly animation and film scoring), musical theatre, keeping up with politics and current events, and going to IKEA. I currently live here in NY with my boyfriend, who means the world to me. Hoping to drag him to Allentown this summer. :)

So uh...hi everybody!

Edited by bmt2116

Hi all!

New guy on here from Manhattan, NY. Not too many people around here even know what drum corps is (and if they do, they generally think of bad marching bands that play top 40 and showtunes), so I can't wait to actually have people I can talk about it with. I've actually been a frequent visitor to these forums for a couple of years now, and decided that this summer was as good of a time as any to start getting more involved in the discussions.

I'm originally from VA, and went to a high school that had a very small, but very good marching band. Those of us who were really hardcore spent our summers getting to as many DCI events as we could while preparing for our own competition seasons. I miss those days quite a lot. I left VA to go to college in NY (Columbia U) and study music, focusing on musical theatre composition, but a few years later and I've switched my track back to what I really love: wind band conducting. I've picked up some great outside-the-band-world experience that I hope to bring into my eventual career as a band director (HS, college, or otherwise). But I've never lost touch with DCI. Though I've never marched with a corps myself (tried out once in HS though!), I've always kept a very close watch on each season. Last summer, my best friend and I drove from VA to Indianapolis (a solid 17 hours, it was awesome) for finals. If I were to choose a favorite corps, I guess I'd have to put myself behind Crown, though I grew up watching the Cadets (my band director's favorite). I got into DCI right around that Crown started becoming a top tier corps, so I suppose you could say I feel like they're a small part of my youth. :) Indeed, given the academic nature of my music department here at Columbia, I've been known by my professors to write many a paper on DCI. I think it's come to a point where drum corps deserves some good study and academic research, given how much it's grown as an art form.

On a less-musical note (hah), I also love film (particularly animation and film scoring), musical theatre, keeping up with politics and current events, and going to IKEA. I currently live here in NY with my boyfriend, who means the world to me. Hoping to drag him to Allentown this summer. :)

So uh...hi everybody!

Welcome newbie.

I work in NYC and there's plenty of DC in the area for you to enjoy. You are very close to quite a few all age corps and there will be a few shows close by for you to check out, I promise you will be quite surprised at how great they are. I am partial to the Hawthorne Caballeros - having marched there for 8 years and stuck around for a few more after that! You also have the Bushwackers, Sunrisers, Fusion Corps, NY Skyliners not too far either. Go to DCACORPS.ORG and check it out.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

YEAH DC!!!!!

Thanks, Kay! I actually had no idea. I've never really paid a ton of attention to DCA, though I really should educate myself. Maybe my summer won't be so boring after all. :)

Thanks, Kay! I actually had no idea. I've never really paid a ton of attention to DCA, though I really should educate myself. Maybe my summer won't be so boring after all. :)

I think you'll be in for quite a surprise!!!!

if your itching to get in drum corps there are plenty of all age drum corps around the north jersey area, me being in the bushwackers all age drum & bugle corp would welcome your participation with us, if interested see our web site @ bushwackers drum & bugle corps, thanks you will enjoy it once again give it a try thanks Vance McManamy "Bush"

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

New guy on here from Manhattan, NY. I left VA to go to college in NY (Columbia U) and study music, focusing on musical theatre composition, but a few years later and I've switched my track back to what I really love: wind band conducting. I think it's come to a point where drum corps deserves some good study and academic research, given how much it's grown as an art form.

So uh...hi everybody!

The New York City - "Skyliners" All Age Corps, are an option. They have Very Open rehearsals. Just go watch,or Join .

website.

Rehearsals for the 2011 competitive season will be hosted throughout "The City", taking advantage of all New York City has to offer.

Questions, to the New York Skyliners should be sent to:

Executive Director, Angel Munoz, or Glade Keaney.

New York Skyliners

pr@nyskyliners.org

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So with "Cabs", "Bush", "Fusion", "Sunrisers", and "Windsor Regiment", there is alot of DCA varity at "ALL" levels of size and quality.

Then also with "Alumni Type" groups like: "Cabs", "NY Sky", "Bridgemen", "BS Golden Knights", "St. Rita's", "Selden", "Brooklyn United" and many, many, more. You could choose from.

"BUT",

If you absoluly have to have DCI . The DCI Open Class "Raiders" and "Spirit of Newark/NJ" are both just across the River, in New Jersey. To get to "Jersey Surf" or "Cadets". You will have to be more creative (and Costly for travel).

That's " 17 " different groups. Mostly without any travel (ALL within "25", miles but mostly, "LESS", from ( Manhattan, the Heart of NYC), allowing you to use the Massive NYC and New Jersey mass transit system of Subway - Bus - Train - Cab). Then the 3 (Surf - Cadets - Windsor Regiment) will be some travel.

Edited by 2B or not 2B