Open Class Pre-season Picks

If the last few years' trend continues, look for Raiders in 4th. Yeah I said it. What's with everybody placing them 9th? And not even top 12?

1. Blue Devils B

2. Spartans

3. Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets

4. Oregon Crusaders

5. Music City

6. 7th Regiment

7. Revolution

8. Raiders

9. Legends

10. Colt Cadets

11. Yokahama Scouts

12. Jubal

Cali.

If the last few years' trend continues, look for Raiders in 4th. Yeah I said it. What's with everybody placing them 9th? And not even top 12?

You never know. Sometimes they come out and have a good show, some times they come out and the opposite happens. Considering that they have a new guard staff, a new (old) percussion staff, new design team of like 12 people, no visual caption head, and they advertised that they still had 20 something open spots. It seems like people may have a valid reason for thinking lower in the division, especially with corps like Music City making a huge membership jump and SCVC coming back out to Finals. Numbers do count for everything, but the corps consistently has a smaller corps in the division. I would have thought after 2009's show and them claiming 2010 was their best year ever, that they would have been able to attract more students. Plus, Facebook has not been too kind to them lately with their own postings about various drama in their drum corps community.

We should wish all the corps well, after all it is about the students and their education.

Mikey

• Like 1

You never know. Sometimes they come out and have a good show, some times they come out and the opposite happens. Considering that they have a new guard staff, a new (old) percussion staff, new design team of like 12 people, no visual caption head, and they advertised that they still had 20 something open spots. It seems like people may have a valid reason for thinking lower in the division, especially with corps like Music City making a huge membership jump and SCVC coming back out to Finals. Numbers do count for everything, but the corps consistently has a smaller corps in the division. I would have thought after 2009's show and them claiming 2010 was their best year ever, that they would have been able to attract more students. Plus, Facebook has not been too kind to them lately with their own postings about various drama in their drum corps community.

We should wish all the corps well, after all it is about the students and their education.

Mikey

Well Mikey just to set the record straight, Raiders do have a new guard staff and the guard has trippled since last year. The drum staff is a mix of former staff and staff from United Percussion (WGI). The design team has grown an I am the visual caption head and have been for 3 years. Just because a web site hasn't been updated doesn't mean something isn't happening. And yes we do have two (2) horn spots open. Lastly, if size matters someone should tell SCV Cadets. They did very well in 08 & 09 with an average size Open Class horn section. And yes it is about the members and the best Drum Corps experiance we can give them.

See you in Indi

MPR

Well Mikey just to set the record straight, Raiders do have a new guard staff and the guard has trippled since last year. The drum staff is a mix of former staff and staff from United Percussion (WGI). The design team has grown an I am the visual caption head and have been for 3 years. Just because a web site hasn't been updated doesn't mean something isn't happening. And yes we do have two (2) horn spots open. Lastly, if size matters someone should tell SCV Cadets. They did very well in 08 & 09 with an average size Open Class horn section. And yes it is about the members and the best Drum Corps experiance we can give them.

See you in Indi

MPR

Mike,

Fair enough. I'm glad to see the color guard has grown, and you have filled all the holes that you had advertised on DCI. The size does/does not matter was a typo. Sorry about that.

Please don't disrespect Mr. P and call yourself the visual caption head for the past three years. You write the drill.

Mikey

• Like 1

Mike,

Fair enough. I'm glad to see the color guard has grown, and you have filled all the holes that you had advertised on DCI. The size does/does not matter was a typo. Sorry about that.

Please don't disrespect Mr. P and call yourself the visual caption head for the past three years. You write the drill.

Mikey

Mr. Russ,

Dont get into it. I know you what you mean. Mr. P is one of your best friends.

Tom

Top 4 is all I will give you

1. Music City

2. BDB

3. SCV Cadets

4. Spartans

• Like 1

I'll play along:

Top 3: BDB, SCVC, Spartans (any order thereof)

4-9: OC, Revo, Raiders, Music City, 7th Reg, Legends (any order thereof)

10-down: Yokohama, Colt Cadets, Jubal (any order thereof)

I'm intrigued by MCDC. Large is good, but never a guarantee of success. Open class is still a tough field full of smaller corps that pack a competitive punch. (Revo, Legends, Spartans, SCVC) All mentioned have proven track records of doing more with less. A smartly written show, and keeping the hype machine to a minimum will certainly put them in contention. Too many corps in this division have gone out for blood only to come back empty handed.

Since I have no affiliation with a DCI corps this season, I'll post my picks.

No specific Order

1-5

- Vanguard Cadets

- BDB

- Oregon Crusaders

- Spartans

- Music City

6-12

- Revolution

- Raiders

- Jubal

- Yokohoma Scouts