High School Band Marching Technique

Had lots of "in step" problems with a band I worked with last year. The kids just weren't hearing the pulse well and didn't understand the importance of unity in the feet. So I taught them a little basics game that really helped.

Set up a parade block and march a song around a track. When you see someone out of step, pull them out. The kids who are out can follow and watch the others and pull out any player they see out of step. It's a "last man standing" kind of game and the kids really got into it. The ones who make it all the way around the track are the winners. Then, everyone who was pulled out the first time starts another lap and the previous winners get to stand out and pull any players out of step. etc etc. After a few times through the drill, every player marched in step all the way around. This greatly helped their ability to play together as a unit and the results of one afternoon's work lasted throughout the season.

As a person who has marched 3 years at the world class level, and a visual instructor/band director for over 15 years, I would say that if the technique program you are using does not include timing of the feet, and that the two are being taught seperately, you may want to adjust your technique.

Best cure I have found for this has been to break everything down from the start-simply harping on marking time with proper technique, will go a long way.

I think too often visual instructors try to get the students moving up and down the field, doing 8's and 8's before the most fundamental of techniques have been learned.

Another thing to think about would be to make sure that you have timing components to your technique. Do you have the students cross the moving leg from the more stationary leg on the + of the beat, in other words when they think 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +, are they moving their feet in a matter where they are physically executing step cross step cross step cross step cross.

Another issue may be with the tempos you are using in rehearsal/basics as opposed to performance tempos. If the students are marching a tune that is at 160bpm, they should be able to march basics at least at 172bpm.

Also, directors often pick tempos that are too slow for a comfortable marching tempo. I would never have a HS group move slower than 80bpm, it's too hard to clean unless you have a very large visual staff and you have plenty of rehearsal hours.

Just my thoughts on the subject.