2011 Shows That 'Set New Standards'

RiseUP79

Since I was not directly involved with any colorguards in World Class Finals (SW and IW), I would like to discuss who I (and the audience) felt had the greatest impact on and affected the audience (and colorguard) in 2011. Opinions and discussion (ANY AND ALL) welcome!

Again, these are my personal opinions.

My picks:

West Johnston: I have never seen an audience more 'involved' in a show...(and excited about for that matter). Kudos for "setting new standards" in an entertaining way.

Seminole: Just plain neat and unique...and created a very interesting atmosphere with the set, music, and performers.

Trumbull: One of the most talented group of high school students I have seen at a winterguard competition. Holy technique, fearlessness, and commitment!

Carmel: Great, great, great, and near perfect with an amazing message and tear-jerking finals run.

Black Watch: New, different, and great at colorguard. Over-the-top pageantry in an accessible and likable form.

Opus 10: Nearly perfect...the subtlety, nuance, and difficulty performed in such a crisp and amazingly well-achieved manner. My favorite of the World Class Finals night.

SCV: For bringing the audience to a state of peace, passion, and jubilation (clapping and dancing)...proving without a doubt they were the 'ones' that night. It was what I personally needed to make all 'right' again with colorguard.

There were definitely others...but I would personally like to hear from other fans...

• Like 1

West johnson was sooooo fun to watch live!!!!! Great concept and definitely innovative!

Loved Trumbull w/o a doubt the strongest weapon line IMO

Loved the strength of Alter Ego.. Go figure ^ they have the same staff!

I cant wait til black lights are used and glow in the dark material.. WOW maybe I shouldnt be giving this great idea away! haha

• Like 1

My picks, and I'm broadening the scope to all clases because I enjoyed A class for the first time in years:

Scholastic World

Carmel - just amazing! CLEAN, straight forward, musical, FUN.

James Logan - I can't not like them... just incredible!

Arcadia - lit up the arena the best way WITH SEQUINS!!! :D

Trumbull - technique I'm jealous of. By far the best trained (in ALL areas!!!) high school group I think I've ever seen, year in and year out. WOW.

Northview - how long had this school been in world class?? Amazing. Whether or not they make finals doesn't matter to me, this school is truly world class even in the outdoor season. Kudos to Bob and Ruthann Medworth.

Independent World

Santa Clara Vanguard - makes me love color guard all over again. the soundtrack alone is worth the gold medal.

Braddock Ind. - wow. a 'dark' show I actually love! Kind of reminds me of a modern day Alliance of Miami. :) LOVE IT!

Opus 10 - the technique here is outstanding. They are the independent equivalent of Trumbull high school in technique land. WOW. And the dancing!!! My goodness the dancing!!

Scholastic A

East Lincoln - very smart and sophisticated. Really liked it.

Mill Creek - they didn't make finals, but this was a great show and the group was really smartly put together.

Independent Open

Pacificaires - just plain amazing.

This topic seems like it's less about guards who set new standards and more like 'post your faves!!!'

There is a difference between shows that set new standards and ones that create audience impact. The former being a show that actually advances the activity towards change. I'm not saying that it's impossible to achieve both simultaneously, though. Carmel this year was a perfect example. An emotional show that the audience loved, along with some quality spinning that set a very high bar for future scholastic ensembles.

But the two don't automatically go hand-in-hand.

• Like 3

This topic seems like it's less about guards who set new standards and more like 'post your faves!!!'

There is a difference between shows that set new standards and ones that create audience impact. The former being a show that actually advances the activity towards change. I'm not saying that it's impossible to achieve both simultaneously, though. Carmel this year was a perfect example. An emotional show that the audience loved, along with some quality spinning that set a very high bar for future scholastic ensembles.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Like 1

Sigh.

I personally believe (that's why I said "my opinion") the groups I listed has a significant impact on the activity...they (in one way or another)...IN MY OPINION set some new standards.

Do we really have to start arguing about people's opinions in EVERY single thread? It's an artistic activity.

I listed Black Watch...they certainly weren't "my fave"...they were a team I thought took winterguard in a unique direction.

Opus 10...much like Carmel spun and danced at a level I do not see often (and with a stylistic choice that is not used all the time)...therefore I feel they 'set the bar very high'.

I could explain each of my choices...and 'crowd favorites' had nothing to do with those choices. If so, I would have said 'Zydeco'...who I also loved.

Edited by RiseUP79
  • Like 2

Sigh.

I personally believe (that's why I said "my opinion") the groups I listed has a significant impact on the activity...they (in one way or another)...IN MY OPINION set some new standards.

Do we really have to start arguing about people's opinions in EVERY single thread? It's an artistic activity.

I listed Black Watch...they certainly weren't "my fave"...they were a team I thought took winterguard in a unique direction.

Opus 10...much like Carmel spun and danced at a level I do not see often (and with a stylistic choice that is not used all the time)...therefore I feel they 'set the bar very high'.

I could explain each of my choices...and 'crowd favorites' had nothing to do with those choices. If so, I would have said 'Zydeco'...who I also loved.

I totally agree with you as per Black Watch , and Carmel. I think what the other poster may have meant was " setting new standards " is something encouraged for success especially in world Class .....unfortunately...often talked about rarely achieved...OH loved Zydeco also

If I had mentioned 'crowd favorites', I would have said: Corona, Braddock, SCV, Avon, etc. etc. Doesn't reflect my original list at all. And yes, I was sitting in the audience, and they went crazy for these teams.

I totally agree with you as per Black Watch , and Carmel. I think what the other poster may have meant was " setting new standards " is something encouraged for success especially in world Class .....unfortunately...often talked about rarely achieved...OH loved Zydeco also

I personally think we shouldn't really use the term 'setting new standards' in our activity...as standards implies rules or set ways of doing things...and I do not condone artistic rules being placed on any of our teams...they should have the freedom to do whatever they wish. Maybe I should change the title of my thread. BUT...it is on the world class sheets. :-(

I only mention the difference because (IN MY OPINION) I didn't see many groups that set new standards for the activity this year. I saw plenty of groups that set new standards for themselves, though.

But I wanted to try and set a tone for the topic BEFORE it turns into "omg, these were my favorites!"

I'm simply trying to do you a favor so there can be some decent discussion out of this thread, and probably the kind you're looking for.

• Like 1