02 Going to Open?

thedova

Not sure how I feel about this, you just won the Gold not to long ago, they should give them more time in World.. Even out the talent in both guards instead of stacking one guard full of the best.

on the subject, I understand guards having to bump themselves back down to open or A, but it just irritates me at times when these guards (not just o2) there are several.... end up winning more medals.. you have already proven you have the talent and show design for Open, challenge yourselves. This is mainly an issue with Independent I guess. (interplay for example) B/c I can understand high schools having to go down to open if they have all freshman. :lookaround:

i would like to know what everyone else thinks!?

Well now that WGI really has no promotion policy and O2 was not in the top 15 in world class, why not bump them down? This gives individuals under the age of 22 the opportunity to march a guard in their area if they did not have a change of being in the top guard.

I am thinking of how all those Independent Open guards, who have been in IO for a bit would feel.

how do you think they would feel if O2 medalled GOLD next season in IO?

I guess my point is if I were an instructor who is trying to medal or make finals in Open.. and a guard who clearly would have no problem making finals in Open drops down from world, I would be a bit upset. They were bumped for a reason, its too soon in my opinion. Give it another 2 years and if O2 isnt successful in World, then drop them down.

I think they have the staff to stay in World and there are plenty of other guards in OH who are in Open and A. They have the talent. But they probably had most their efforts going towards Onyx and all the design went into Onyx.. Spend more time with 02 design wise and they could be great!

• Like 1

You have to remember that having two guards in IW has got to be a challenge. Thats a lot of resources to use. I would think they didnt want to spread themselves too thin. O2 was meant to be an IO guard, shame on O2 for getting too good? If i was in IO, instead of being scared, id take it as a challenge.

You have to remember that having two guards in IW has got to be a challenge. Thats a lot of resources to use. I would think they didnt want to spread themselves too thin. O2 was meant to be an IO guard, shame on O2 for getting too good? If i was in IO, instead of being scared, id take it as a challenge.

Then they should do what Zydeco is doing this coming season.. Only field one World guard.

Not fair for guards to keep taking medals away from other guards :thumbup:

"It's not fair".. blah blah blah. Get over it. They can do whatever they want. Just prepare YOUR team and do the best you can with your own kids and don't worry about what someone else is going to do.

Worrying about what other teams do or don't do is wasting time you can spend with your own students and making sure they have a great time in this activity that (IMO) is about having fun and enjoying what you do, not worrying about what a team does or doesn't do and how it will affect the color guard world.

Edited by Will
  • Like 4

Then they should do what Zydeco is doing this coming season.. Only field one World guard.

Seems to me that's what they're doing - field ONE world guard and one OPEN guard. What's wrong with that?

I can't let this topic go (and yes, I might just rant about the same things I said earlier but oh well).

As an instructor your job is to do what you think is best for your group. For me, that meant changing the music 3 times in one season. Yes, that's right. I did it and not a single kid quit - sure they were frustrated a little, but they understood. So, I find it really ridiculous when a group decides to move down a class and others say "that's not fair". Who gives a flying fart if 35 guards have been in IO and not gotten a medal or even made finals! If they are doing their job, then they are having fun doing their best to put on the best possible show they can. Period. That, to me, is what color guard is about. I can't worry about so and so guard and if they are gonna move up or down or run me over with a steam roller. It is out of my control. What can I control? How much fun my kids have. Yes, I speak mainly from the point of view of teaching scholastic groups, but none the less, the same attitude applies.

If you don't like having a guard move into your class, then change classes. OR, better yet, say "cool". and move on with your life. I highly doubt that other guards care, and if they do, hopefully it will push them to strive to be even better. That's all you can ask for anyway, right?

and yes, I recognize I just elaborated more on my statements from earlier today - sue me.

• Like 2

and while we are at it, we can ban James Logan from any class. They've already reached their medal quota. Exhibition only from here on out. (Please note the sarcasm.)

Not fair for guards to keep taking medals away from other guards :thumbup:

• Like 1

well I don't personally teach a guard, but my point is that O2 has proven they have the skills. They can bump down, win another medal, get bumped into world and repeat.. Defeats the purpose of bumping the groups out of a class and challenging your own group if you only give them one year in World class before you bump them back down.

I understand why some guards have to do it, b/c lack of membership, a staff that isn't ready to be in world, lack of talent.. BUT O2 does not have any of those problems.. Their sister guard just won the silver. They need to spread their resources more evenly and have 2 great world guards like St Ann's :thumbup: I just expect more from O2. I want to see them in World!