Minicorps in the South

6 months ago when I started looking into minicorps I got a lot of encouragement but also got a lot of discouragement. I ignored the naysayers and pressed onward. It didn't take long just tossing the idea around to find a handful of alumni from various corps who were interested. The Rocketeers are up to 10 who have been to rehearsal and another 5 who will be joining us in the coming weeks. *Note that there has never been a corps in North Alabama. There have been corps in Birmingham (The Steelmen & American Legion), Montgomery (Southwind), Troy (Charioteers), Jacksonville (Spirit), Mobile (Magic of Mobile but nothing ever came of them). While we are still in a building phase I can't help but think that in other cities where corps may or may not have been before there should be enough to pull together a mini corps. It would be nice to be able to round up half a dozen or so and bring them together for a mini corps competition here in the North Alabama area. So where ever you are in the South if there is not a corps for you to participate within 2 hours consider rounding up others you know in a two hour radius of yourself. You might be surprised what you can pull together. Let's shoot for Mini Corps South 2012!

Bill

Edited by BrassCats
  • Like 1

Plus...IMO, Rocketeers is one of the coolest names for a drum corps ever!!! :thumbup:

• Like 1

I think there is more demand for Mini Corps in the south than people give credit for. It just has to be worked and managed properly. Something I feel strongly the Rocketeers are doing.

Ive been hitting Facebook recruiting as much as possible and contacting peeps I have marched with previously via Email. I hope you are getting some responses from Georgia and Tn.

I think there is more demand for Mini Corps in the south than people give credit for. It just has to be worked and managed properly. Something I feel strongly the Rocketeers are doing.

Ive been hitting Facebook recruiting as much as possible and contacting peeps I have marched with previously via Email. I hope you are getting some responses from Georgia and Tn.

Ed,

Things are starting to click. Like I said I think there is room for more mini corps. When we have people coming from Nashville & Birmingham and inquiries coming from Chattanooga, Athens (TN), Dallas (GA) ... While there is and always will be a place for field corps of different sizes I think mini corps is a great way to make an impact at the community level.

Bill

• 2 months later...

Thought I would bring this back to the top.

Just curious as to who thinks they have enough interest in their area to start a mini corps? We started with 3 eight months ago and are now at 14 horns!

I know of at least two more that are probably in next season.

What areas? Nashville? Birmingham?

One from Nashville and another from Atlanta.