1963 AL From New Orleans to Miami

I get the feeling that there was/is some sort of conflict between A.L. and corps with predominant corps colors of red and black back in the day. Don Quinn was my junior corps instructor at the time and he filled me in on a lot of the sordid details of the 'contest'. Oh well, such is life.

Thanks for the re-cap Jimmy. BTW, you were missed at Wildwood this weekend. Perhaps next year?

Ray

why, yes, I can.....I got your meaning Ray and Elphaba..........actually we won prelims but accepted a 2.0 penalty for late on-the-line (report).....this didn't hurt us at all, however, at the finals, the corps did a near perfect show and left it all 'on thr field' to the appreciation of all in attendance, there was a slight shower during Reb's show, but they completed an excellent performance as did both Sky, then Cab's.....score announcements took an inordinate amount of time and when they announced 4th place many of the fans boo'd the score....long story short.....in reviewing the sheets and recaps we discovered that one judges sheet had apparently been modified and showed us scoring much lower in his caption than he had Kewanee....many years later that judge swore that the numbers were NOT the ones he posted this explanation was accepted by our member and given his veracity it was a feasible conclusion. Years later Archie was notified by the AL National Committee that an audit showed an numerical error which put us in 3rd place just behind Sky. Many years later I contacted the AL and requested copies of all documents relating to the judging, scoring and posting of caption numbers but was told that the records were lost in a fire.......and, indeed, THAT one show, foretold the issues in years to come......

Edited by Ray Priester

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic