1963 AL From New Orleans to Miami

Looking at Nancis history blog and see 1963 American Legion Nats were moved from New Orleans to Miami. Remember seeing this article before but don't remember seeing a reason. Interesting #1 because AL was held in Miami three years before. Intersing #2 as the AFL (AMerican Football League) All Star Game for early 1965 was moved out out New Orleans because of racism towards the players.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at Nancis history blog and see 1963 American Legion Nats were moved from New Orleans to Miami. Remember seeing this article before but don't remember seeing a reason. Interesting #1 because AL was held in Miami three years before. Intersing #2 as the AFL (AMerican Football League) All Star Game for early 1965 was moved out out New Orleans because of racism towards the players.

Probably because the hotels in Miami are much taller, ergo, the legionaire water balloons would be more effective.

I hope that "'splains thins Lucy"

Probably because the hotels in Miami are much taller, ergo, the legionaire water balloons would be more effective.

I hope that "'splains thins Lucy"

LOL, don't know 'bout Miami but Nah Lins is so humid you'd never know you were hit with a water balloon....

LOL, don't know 'bout Miami but Nah Lins is so humid you'd never know you were hit with a water balloon....

I've been in Nawlins in July and August. You walk around feeling as though you just climbed out of the Mississippi.

Great food though!

Wonder if segregation had something to do with it. If I remember correctly, it was about this time that the old AFL (football) pulled their Allstar game out of N.O. because of problems encountered with housing the nonwhite players.

Regards

I've been in Nawlins in July and August. You walk around feeling as though you just climbed out of the Mississippi.

Great food though!

LOL, 1978 AL was in the Big Easy and Sr show was Westshoremen and Chicago Connection. Show was in late August and the Big Parade was held at night (still 80+ degrees).

Best part for me was I hit 21 about a week before. :thumbup: (PA and corps rules were no boozing under 21).

Finally hit the right combo of words to search in Google and found it. Too bad it's in Google books and a real bear to find the bits and pieces out of a book.

Title is "New Orleans On Parade" by Jonathan Mark Souther

What I'm picking out is it was the segregation of the hotels killed it. Still searching thru the book but appears the AL contacted the mayor and staff about it and was either ignored or told "hotels are private enterprises and they have their rights". Also ignored was the fact that NOs segregation laws were declared unconstitutional earlier.

Hmmm. 1963 would have been N.O.s first AL convention since 1922...

Edit: Blacks and whites could not be in the same place if that place served alcohol unless separated by a partition... Picturing that at a veterans convention...

http://books.google.com/books?id=j8RjmAdbz4MC&pg=PA89&lpg=PA89&dq=%22american+legion%22%2B1963%2Bconvention&source=bl&ots=ViyUwbxTMi&sig=PY33szQn0tmeZUilLqhg09cHltI&hl=en&ei=9ozfTYnOMIj50gGf-P2mCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCcQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=legion&f=false

Edited by JimF-LowBari

LOL, 1978 AL was in the Big Easy and Sr show was Westshoremen and Chicago Connection. Show was in late August and the Big Parade was held at night (still 80+ degrees).

Best part for me was I hit 21 about a week before. :thumbup: (PA and corps rules were no boozing under 21).

(like that ever stopped us....just sayin'.... :devil: )

OK, meant I could walk around the parking lot at the Water Bug Holiday Inn (first floor had a problem with 'em) openly. Not that I didn't get gigged 4-5 times about it. "Jimmy are you drinking!!!" "I'm 21 now!!" "Ohh... happy birthday".

Think Steve Filipelli was the one who put 2 and 2 together. "You're 21.... HOW MANY years have you been with the corps?" (Answer was this was my 5th season....)

Edit: Question from my wife: Why is it old ladies who remember you as a kid (not many left) and corps people are the only ones who call you Jimmy? :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari