Rockford - Partial Review

But the standstill had to have been one of the best parts of the night

I've always thought that Phantom's standstill we're the best in drum corps -- usually because the music they play can stand alone apart from drill. Not all corps can do that. Watching -- I should saying listening -- to a Phantom standstill is like being at a classical music concert outdoors.

My only wish -- bring back "Fire of Eternal Glory" for encores! I loved "Amazing Grace," but "Fire" is now officially 10 years old -- a good anniversary to dust it off!

I was at the show and i honestly think that if it were my choice for scores it would've been Cadets, Phantom, then Cavies. Cavies were sooo, blaaaaaaa <**> . The GE stuff that they did was just too last year. I know it would've been hard to top last year's show, but they could've done a better job.

What are they doing that they did last year? I don't remember them pulling out any of last years stuff.

Cavaliers deferred to the home-town corps so Regiment played the post-show standstill.  They thanked the 30+ age outs then played a very fun smooth jazz piece. 

Does anybody know the name of this jazz/rock song that Phantom played during their encore in Rockford? Is it the same one they played last year?

"Another Star" by Stevie Wonder. I don't think they played it last year, but I could be wrong.

Yes, Phantom did play Another Star last year.

you forgot to mention how the Cadets completely ripped off the Scouts during Maleguena with the rotating company front....

<**>

well, the show IS a tribute to some of their favorite things that other corps, and their own corps, have accomplished in the past...

not to be a grammer knit pick or anything. If that's the case then the show should have been called "Some of YOUR favorite things". "Some of OUR favorite things" implies ownership....therefore the show should only include past fan favorite cadet tunes.....

I wonder if this is a characteristic of Michael Gaines drill.  When I saw Spirit the other night, the drill looked real jumbled to me.  The baby blue and black uniforms didn't help.  I was seated on the fifty about half way up a decent sized high school stadium.

Spirits drill in an OK Mike Gaines drill. It was good for them. Tha Cavaliers drill is a good Mike Gaines drill. There is a big difference in the quality of the two products.

you forgot to mention how the Cadets completely ripped off the Scouts during Maleguena with the rotating company front....

<**>

Ugh, do they really?

So it's not enough to take pieces that other corps have won with, btu they have to take one of the most popular visual moments from another corps, as well? I wish I could like the Cadets, because they're very good at what they do, but it's things like this that just keep letting me down.

Yeah they are a real big let down what with the other hundred or so charts that they march <_<, and considering the theme of the show how much would it make sense to not put a little something in here or there to pay tribute to the great corps' of the past.