Jackson, NJ review

I just returned from the Jackson, NJ show.....here is my review.

General: rain lifted right before show started......great.............good crowd...........

Raiders...........guard showed a good improvement since Old Bridge, and percussion peformance was also better. It is taking the young

brassline some time in terms of confidence and projection, and ensemble cohesion issues are plaguing them as well.

They also have some drill to finish, too. The show is challenging (maybe a bit too much?). Hopefully, they can

get things rolling by August.........

Surf.............better performance tonight than Old Bridge......percussion is the strength of the corps right now, and will be very

respectable in Indy.......brass is young/inexperienced, but impacts were better tonight...especially considering they

are only marching 42 brass. With much ensemble work, and some attention to effect. Guard is improving......corps should

be respectable performers in Indy..........

Crossmen.........opening 1/2 was better tonight.........still many ensemble issues to address. Percussion establishes some good grooves, but

brass is not locking with them in many places......arrangements are a question mark at this point.....guard has improved, and

percussion remains the strongest element......

Madison.........arrangements are well-done and well played. Corps plays with emotion. I think they can somehow max out the ending more.

they are very entertaining and competent in all sections, with room to grow performance-wise.

Boston..........the whistling coming on didn't work for me (good idea....bad whistlers...lol)......singing was effective, though, and set

a mood...........opening was strong..........but for me, the show goes downhill emotionally......some major brass ensemble

issues tonight...............for me, they are playing parts of 2 great drum corps songs (Les Mis...Cadets, and 1812....Phantom)

and the arrangements come up short emotionally...........good visual package, and guard could be great by seasons end.......

percussion feature seems to long/doesn't sustain interest......visual and overall perfomance will probably keep them in

finals, but not a done deal, imo.........

Crown..........terrific prelude to show..............brass line and book are stellar...........percussion is a step up from last year's, and

when on, can hang with anyone. Show needs a new "big finish" ending...........if they can figure that out, this show could win,

as the corps is very, very good.....................

GB

• Like 3