I'm Sorry Ms. Jackson

Raiders "Blucentric"

IMO program was written just a little too far above the abilities of the performers. The show design didn't really click (which is hard to explain -- it's a show about the color blue). I kept thinking there was another "thread" in the this show that I wasn't quite able to grasp (which bothers the heck out of me). Drumline clearly the best trained section of corps.

Surf "Petal Tones"

The first thing you notice is the guard uniform! It's Las Vegas over the top -- and to honest -- instead of adding to the effect it seemed to be more of a distraction. Surf has recently been struggling with brass and I was quite happy to hear a very strong effort through the first half of the program. The second half of the show was not as strong musically -- might just need time. Nice to see the step up in the brass. As usual the guard was the strongest section of the corps with a solid book , good execution, and effective staging. Only item that stuck out was the black flag at the end (clearly a practice flag not a show flag) ; it kind of jarred with the rest of the production at that point . I'm guessing the show flag will have a black background -- which would still have the issue. Just left me wondering why?

Crossmen "Renewal"

Yeah the Xmen are back! Solid book with a great Crossmen jazz presence. Fun show that did not seem to have any of the obvious problems recent productions exhibited. Their take on Hallelujah was very done with great arranging and super staging. Great moment at the climax. The best thing was got the feeling that they're gonna be able to max this show it over time. Fun show.

Madison "New York Morning"

So yeah -- the can play loud with good tone quality. The show itself is well put together and 9/11 stuff is effective and emotional without be offensive. When ESoM kicks, the feeling of resilience in the face of adversity is really strong. My only nitpick musically was the thunderous goo -- 20 tubas don't need quite that much reinforcement. Yeah I know it's an octave down but quite frankly I had trouble hearing the tuba line over the goo. Musically this show is very effective. What they do visually is another matter. The show is thin on visual content. And too often I found myself just watching the center of the field because their wasn't anything forcing me to "look here". They march and spin fine. Drill was acceptably clean for the beginning of July. But there's just not enough "meat" to the visual product. Saw a comment earlier that about jazzing running for extended time at 170 -- yeah but the horns are at trail and they're in pods with no ensemble form responsibilities... Nothing wrong with what they do - they just don't do enough of it.

Boston "Revolution"

What a contrast with Madison this show was. Musically Boston was very thin sounding compared to the Scouts. Bottom end was just absent at times and tone quality of the hornline was far more pinched than M. But from start to finish this show is visually far ahead. Great guard staging and super coordination of the visual elements which led a lot of very effective moments. Unfortunately they have a lot of work to do to catch M in brass. But -- in terms of visual design -- it already has the goods to do that.

Crown "Rach Star"

(disclaimer -- kid is marching her 3rd year at crown)

Design + performer + staff = a great show. I remember comments about Crown's performer's not buying into the show. Nothing could be further from the truth. Based on performance and talking to members -- they are totally buying into the concept. Corps is at a very good level of cleanliness for early July. The show *does* lose a little momentum at the end of the ELP but there are clearly changes in store. Seems like the risk (putting a "rock" show on the field) is poised to payoff for the rach stars.

• Like 2

wow you must be so proud of your kid. What great years to march with Crown!!! GOOOO CROWN!!!