Place your bets, everyone...

So, for the second year in a row, the little lady and I have spent hundreds of dollars we really didn't have on the one and only vacation we can both afford, time-wise. Don't get me wrong: drum corps is in our blood, and given the choice between DCI and some overblown, over-produced, over-hyped, pretentious, hipster doofus, heavy metal vomit-fest, we'll take a drum corps show any day.

However, it was with profound lamentation and a great gnashing of teeth that we have learned that the weather forecast for next weekend's second attempt at the next-best-thing-to-being-at-Nats show is precisely what last year's was: hot, humid with a chance of scattered thunderstorms. Needless to say, our hearts are hopeful, yet heavy at the notion of once again spending a Saturday night in a hotel room, clothes drying on the rod in the bathroom, arguing over dinner and whether or not to starve our poor animals in order to buy tickets to the Regiment show (which we simply couldn't do to our poor animewls).

So there's the rub: we've decided not to sell the tickets, to make our little road trip to Minneapolis from Chicago, and to pray that God really does love drum corps, and wouldn't dare allow that woman from U of MN to get on the mic again at the stadium to say, "I guarantee there will be no rain," let alone a friggin tornado warning.

We're not about to accept having paid a couple of hundred bucks to be crammed into a bathroom with 500 other people.

The question is this, for you sage historians...

Has a DCI show ever been cancelled two years in a row due to weather, or are we being ridiculously pessimistic?

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon

I'd bet on success...

But like you, I have so little money...especially since I placed all my drum corps money on Allentown - another outdoor show (I won't support the domes...)

I hope you win - I really do -

Thanks so much, man. This is the only thing we can really afford to do all year, and is something that really means a lot to us, so we hope so much that it works out.

Man, if we had the money to do Indy, you better believe we'd do it.

Weather.com says there is only a 10% chance for rain in Minneapolis on both Friday and Sunday and only 20% for Saturday, describing the day as partly cloudy.

• Like 2

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=mpx&zmx=1&zmy=1&map.x=193&map.y=147

Straight from the National Weather Service out of Minneapolis.

Now from what I know about weather...last nights and this mornings rain was an MCS (Mesoscale Convective System) on the edge of the heat dome covering most of the midwest right now. This MCS traveled throught the night and ended up passing the quad cities area this morning and is now in Ohio. A few storms from time to time until another possible MCS threat thurdsday night/Friday am timeframe. Then, models are currently showing the heat dome going north for the weekend. If this were to pan out, that would equal very hot, but dry in capped enviroment (capped means clouds cannot form about a certain level).

Here's the verbage from the 12:05pm discussion today too.

A WARMING TREND STILL LOOKS ON TRACK FOR LATE IN THE WEEK AND

WEEKEND. AN EPISODE OF SHOWERS AND STORMS PRIOR TO THE WARMING

TREND LOOKS TO AFFECT MOST OF THE AREA WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND

THURSDAY AS SUBTROPICAL MOISTURE WORKS AROUND THE SOUTHERN CONUS

RIDGE. H5 HEIGHTS BUILD DURING THIS TIME FRAME...WHICH WILL

GRADUALLY LESSEN THE CHANCE FOR PRECIP LATER IN THE WEEK AND

WEEKEND. 700 MB TEMPS DON`T LOOK REAL HIGH...SUCH AS THE +16 THAT

WE HAD A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. STILL LOOKS LIKE SOME TEMPS AT LEAST IN

THE MID 90S FOR A FEW SPOTS WITH 1000-500 THICKNESSES IN THE

582-585 RANGE. HAVE CUT BACK ON THE LOW POPS DURING THE DAY HOURS

FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY WITH THE CAPPED ENVIRONMENT. .

Although, we are still 5 days away...so we'll see. Looking good so far but lets not jinx it :) I'll be up there too!

A WARMING TREND STILL LOOKS ON TRACK FOR LATE IN THE WEEK AND WEEKEND. AN EPISODE OF SHOWERS AND STORMS PRIOR TO THE WARMING TREND LOOKS TO AFFECT MOST OF THE AREA WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY AS SUBTROPICAL MOISTURE WORKS AROUND THE SOUTHERN CONUS RIDGE...

Aren't Blue Devils staying at Southern Conus Ridge HS?

• Like 2

Aren't Blue Devils staying at Southern Conus Ridge HS?

No offense at all but...southern conus in a weather reference to an area. that area is the southern US.

Conus = United States. (lower 48)

outside Conus = rest of world.

Just clearing that up :satisfied:

No offense at all but...southern conus in a weather reference to an area. that area is the southern US.

Conus = United States. (lower 48)

outside Conus = rest of world.

Just clearing that up :satisfied:

Uh, you haven't been around here long, have you? Would someone please explain my sense of humor?