Drum Corps Fees

Nice! How old were you? I'm 15 and Im a junior. My mom said she would support me. She's seen me chicken out to many times.

Im 14 (almost 15) and going to be a sophomore. I tried out for the Academy and made callbacks and eventually would have joined because there were so many holes, but my parents wouldn't let me march so I did this trainee program they have. I pretty much went to all of their camps until the end of May.

Edited by azmello96

Im 14 (almost 15) and going to be a sophomore. I tried out for the Academy and made it, but my parents wouldn't let me march so I did this trainee program they have. I pretty much went to all of their camps until the end of May.

Wow that's great! Good job on making it your first try!

Wow that's great! Good job on making it your first try!

Thanks I only would have made it though because at least 5 (maybe more) people dropped I'm sure you'll be able to make it on your first try too. It sounds like you really want to make it and are working hard to acheive your goal.

Thanks I only would have made it though because at least 5 (maybe more) people dropped I'm sure you'll be able to make it on your first try too. It sounds like you really want to make it and are working hard to acheive your goal.

Yeah from what I've heard, lots of people can't tough out contra. They don't want it bad enough.

Yeah from what I've heard, lots of people can't tough out contra. They don't want it bad enough.

Depends, a lot of the corps that allow "gutting" have more people that make it thru the season than corps that don't allow "gutting". That feeling of holding the horn out, at the same distance from your chest as the rest of the hornline, literally kills people's confidence in being able to do that the whole summer, especially if horns are down for an extended period of time in the show.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken

Oh sorry I should have clarified. I play mellophone, but it is true about contra being really tough. You are definately going to want to practice holding at "set" for long periods of time.

Oh sorry I should have clarified. I play mellophone, but it is true about contra being really tough. You are definately going to want to practice holding at "set" for long periods of time.

I already do. I mark time to my high school's show and I hold out a 20 pound weight.

I already do. I mark time to my high school's show and I hold out a 20 pound weight.

Nice. I think that and running with the contra are the 2 hardest things you will have to do.

• Like 1

You would probably gain more by running with that weight out. The stabilizer muscles when marching with it down are the real things you need to develop.

Don't hold it out after you start shaking. When you do that, you are training those slow twitch fibers to shake when fatigued. Hold it out only until you begin to shake, rest, and repeat. Might want to start a timer and build the time from there.