Breathing Gym

I use it, a lot, along with the Brass Gym, which is also awesome.

Madison uses it.

Breathing Gym is excellent. We used it when I taught Teal Sound, and I use it with my bands. It makes a HUGE difference, and it's also highly modifiable. I use it mixed up with some stuff we did at Suncoast and Blue Devils. Breathing should be part of every brass line's daily routine.

It's being used by a lot more ensembles than just brass players. It's really interesting that ballet (Alvin Ailey Co. at that) was the starting point for the entire thing.

We do still use breathing gym at Teal.

Essentially, the goal of the Breathing Gym is to enable you to become a more efficient breather by using as much of your lung capacity as possible, in the most relaxed manner. That is accomplished by a series of stretches, therapies (exercises to improve your inhale/exhale), and flow exercises to simulate musical phrases or work on endurance in high intensity breathing situations.

It is a pedagogy that is extremely beneficial when used multiple times a day to remind your body how to breathe in this abnormal way. I feel most people miss the ball when they don't apply the same technique on the horn.

Anyway, there's my two cents for this thread.

When I was Suncoast Sound and Spirit the whole corps did it when we ran in the morning. Talk about a workout.