bad sound

BCC99Man

well, i'm playing a G bari, and i just can't get a good sound in the lower register (like a low G). i sound really airy, and i can't get a nice round sound past like a mezzo forte :( . and in the show, i play that low G in the opening chord and it's suppose to be like at fortissimo. could it be an adjustment thing from going to a G horn? i mean, i've got pretty good tone in the low register on a Bb bari. any help would be GREATLY appreciated

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What mouthpiece are you using?

Check and make sure that your tongue isn't blocking your airflow. Make sure that your air is uninterrupted going into the leadpipe and that you're filling everything up at the beginning of the horn... make sure you're initiating the sound with the air and not with the tongue ("choking" the airflow at the top of your throat.)

LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES LONG TONES

Those are pretty much the best thing you can do. You only have to do them so often, like EVERY DAY. Playing long notes lets you focus entirely on sound and air. Also, your jaw is going to drop a LOT more to get down to that partial more than any other on the horn, or any other horn that you've played. The airstream should go more "straight" into the instrument rather than at a "downward angle" for higher notes. Good luck! :)

Dew

Guest mafields627

1. Mouthpiece Buzz - Long Tones and Slurs

2. Play Long Tones and Slurs

3. Do breathing exercises.

4. Try thrusting the lower jaw forward to give the mouthpiece a flat base.

• 2 weeks later...
On the subject of mouthpieces where can i view a selection on the net,im currently producing my awesome tone on a standard 12c with a Kanstal G Bari' but i want more.

12c? Thats a pea shooter.try a larger one,but since your tone is so awesome,maybe nothing needs to change :P

Try a 5 g(bach) or a 51(shillke,yamaha) :)

Try Dillon music to view.(use search,I dont know the url)