How amps and electronics saved drum corps by changing it.

All that proves is that 2/5 of the fans have Internet access, and thus don't need to wait in the stands to get the scores.

I'm pretty sure 5/5ths of the fans have internet access, but 3/5ths like to hear the scores announced. I've never been to a show and waited for scores. I don't really care about those little things smile.gif

so you have to be pleased with the trends over the past 3 years. I think for the most part the WC corps have been designing much more fan friendly shows...especially for the uninitiated.

That's true, this year. I was just rewatching 2010 (since I *finally* got a Blu-ray player to go with my single Bluray disc: 2010 DCI Finals :tongue: ), and overall those shows come nowhere close to how engaging the shows are this year across the board. The project led by Cesario, whatever they did, definitely changed something, and for the better. :thumbup:

I just hope it lasts.

so you have to be pleased with the trends over the past 3 years. I think for the most part the WC corps have been designing much more fan friendly shows...especially for the uninitiated.

In general, yes. However, the judges seem to be deadset on rewarding shows that aren't as fan friendly. And that's the trend that worries me. Over time, the push toward fan-friendly shows will fall apart unless the judges get on board and give some credit for "connecting with the audience" as the rules require them to do. And the last thing I want to see is another slate of Cadets 05-07.

The words "drum corps" might as well be just some weird dialect from an undiscovered region of the world because all I get is a blank stare from non band/music people when I use those two words together...

So here's the twenty second explanation, and it hasn't failed me yet (at least with people who have a somewhat positive opinion of marching bands).

Imagine a marching band with no woodwinds. It's several times louder. Now, imagine them moving twice as fast as any marching band you've ever seen, playing harder music--higher, faster, and more intense. (If they're a color guard member, you might throw in a couple of examples--Crown's Herbert, this year, for one.) It's like marching band on steroids.

That pretty much does it. Let me know if it works for you. (Don't forget to be excited and animated as you share--that always helps, too.)

Amplification won't reach its true potential until we can get this to happen.

Don't give them any more ideas!!! DCI in Sense Surround! ala 1974 Earthquake movie!

In general, yes. However, the judges seem to be deadset on rewarding shows that aren't as fan friendly. And that's the trend that worries me. Over time, the push toward fan-friendly shows will fall apart unless the judges get on board and give some credit for "connecting with the audience" as the rules require them to do. And the last thing I want to see is another slate of Cadets 05-07.

Which fan-unfriendly shows are the judges rewarding this year?

First, can you identify the most fan unfriendly show? Then, what's the placement of the corps performing that show?

So here's the twenty second explanation, and it hasn't failed me yet (at least with people who have a somewhat positive opinion of marching bands).

Imagine a marching band with no woodwinds. It's several times louder. Now, imagine them moving twice as fast as any marching band you've ever seen, playing harder music--higher, faster, and more intense. (If they're a color guard member, you might throw in a couple of examples--Crown's Herbert, this year, for one.) It's like marching band on steroids.

That pretty much does it. Let me know if it works for you. (Don't forget to be excited and animated as you share--that always helps, too.)

I don't ever like or appreciate the "on steroids" analogy. Steroid use implies an illegality that does not exist in drum corps. So, I never appreciate the "on steroids" part.

Imagine without woodwinds. Well, woodwinds are not a component in many marching bands. And you risk alienating someone who plays oboe, but already marches guard of plays mallets/tympani in his/her marching band pit.

It's "super summer marching band". Nothing about those four words is left off your longer description.

Which fan-unfriendly shows are the judges rewarding this year?

First, can you identify the most fan unfriendly show? Then, what's the placement of the corps performing that show?

Based on what I saw, I think BD was the most fan-unfriendly show in Atlanta. Maybe people were leaping out of their seats for it in other locales, but there, the response was tepid at best.

I also sensed less than loving responses to BC and SCV, and yet they beat out several corps that fans were ready to "throw babies" about. Personally, I like SCV's show (BC wasn't one of my faves this year), but the public seemed disappointed in them.

Other shows that didn't seem to connect include the Glassmen and Colts, but they're a ways further down. Still, though, the Crossmen lit up the stadium, and finished lower than either of those corps.

I'm not saying that audience response is the ONLY meaningful determining factor of who should win, but I think it's difficult for the activity when crowd-pleasers consistently finish lower than judge pleasers.

I'm picky. I want both from everyone every year.

Based on what I saw, I think BD was the most fan-unfriendly show in Atlanta. Maybe people were leaping out of their seats for it in other locales, but there, the response was tepid at best.

I also sensed less than loving responses to BC and SCV, and yet they beat out several corps that fans were ready to "throw babies" about. Personally, I like SCV's show (BC wasn't one of my faves this year), but the public seemed disappointed in them.

Other shows that didn't seem to connect include the Glassmen and Colts, but they're a ways further down. Still, though, the Crossmen lit up the stadium, and finished lower than either of those corps.

I'm not saying that audience response is the ONLY meaningful determining factor of who should win, but I think it's difficult for the activity when crowd-pleasers consistently finish lower than judge pleasers.

I'm picky. I want both from everyone every year.

Yeah, you want GE to be 80%, perhaps? Execution is where many "fan friendly" corps go south. They can play, but they barely move and when they do...it's really hard to watch.

I don't ever like or appreciate the "on steroids" analogy. Steroid use implies an illegality that does not exist in drum corps. So, I never appreciate the "on steroids" part.

Imagine without woodwinds. Well, woodwinds are not a component in many marching bands. And you risk alienating someone who plays oboe, but already marches guard of plays mallets/tympani in his/her marching band pit.

It's "super summer marching band". Nothing about those four words is left off your longer description.

No, corps never use "steroids". They just call them amplification.

And when I'm talking to woodwind players, I have even more fun by saying things like, "and none of those pesky (or wimpy) woodwinds". I say it with sarcasm, and everyone I've told it to has laughed.

Good luck with your version, but if DCI ever changes its name to SSMB, it WILL be the end of the organization. Mark my words, and if I'm wrong, I'll eat a Cavaliers' hat.