How amps and electronics saved drum corps by changing it.

Absolutely NOT! tongue.gif

well he did learn how to make a lot of people regret their vote on Facebook

well, I'm waiting to see how much of that money is left over to help bands raise funds after ordering a 2nd set of guard uniforms this summer.

so did he really learn?

There's an interview with him from 1984 in which he's complaining about money. If he was going to learn, he'd have done it by now. He's been pushing to put the top 6 or 7 or 8 corps in a separate division from the rest for at least 15 years now, and he's getting his way, but that won't solve the money problems either.

There's an interview with him from 1984 in which he's complaining about money. If he was going to learn, he'd have done it by now. He's been pushing to put the top 6 or 7 or 8 corps in a separate division from the rest for at least 15 years now, and he's getting his way, but that won't solve the money problems either.

don't use logic on a drum corps forum :tongue:

Hmmm...giving more money...to people who don't use money efficiently...doesn't fix their money problem? I feel like I've heard this kind of logic somewhere else.

I've been to quite a few shows in the past 5 years....you know what I notice. About 2/5ths the people leave before any score is announced. That's not why they come to the show. Out of the 3/5ths remaining, I would wager 1/3 of them are there to see the encore performance.

People don't care about the scores as much as the corps and the diehards do.

You miss my point. The corps DO care about scores. And if poorly designed shows keep winning, more corps will try to emulate that "design" strategy. And in the end, the crowds won't care about the scores, but they will care about the boring/confusing shows on the field.

And I'm definitely staying for the Encore performances. I was most disappointed that there weren't any in Atlanta. I must have missed an announcement, somewhere. But I digress.

You miss my point. The corps DO care about scores. And if poorly designed shows keep winning, more corps will try to emulate that "design" strategy. And in the end, the crowds won't care about the scores, but they will care about the boring/confusing shows on the field.

And I'm definitely staying for the Encore performances. I was most disappointed that there weren't any in Atlanta. I must have missed an announcement, somewhere. But I digress.

so you have to be pleased with the trends over the past 3 years. I think for the most part the WC corps have been designing much more fan friendly shows...especially for the uninitiated.

If it takes you twenty minutes to explain the differences between marching band and drum corps, you either have tortoisitis or you don't know the differences. I can do it in about 20 seconds, and all the band-people I've told (who don't already know about DCI) have immediately expressed interest in seeing more. If you'd like a primer, I can share my technique. It's pretty easy. :-)

The words "drum corps" might as well be just some weird dialect from an undiscovered region of the world because all I get is a blank stare from non band/music people when I use those two words together...

The words "drum corps" might as well be just some weird dialect from an undiscovered region of the world because all I get is a blank stare from non band/music people when I use those two words together...

I got the exact same reaction from a few kids in pit when I told them about the prelims tomorrow. I'm pretty sure 30 out of the 160 in my band know what drum corps is. It's sad that a lot of kids in high school bands don't know what it is either. We're having a drum corps party and I'm providing the videos in our band hall, hopefully that's 100 new fans right there. The adults that actually listen find it quite intriguing and amazing. If only DCI had more exposure.......

I got the exact same reaction from a few kids in pit when I told them about the prelims tomorrow. I'm pretty sure 30 out of the 160 in my band know what drum corps is. It's sad that a lot of kids in high school bands don't know what it is either. We're having a drum corps party and I'm providing the videos in our band hall, hopefully that's 100 new fans right there. The adults that actually listen find it quite intriguing and amazing. If only DCI had more exposure.......

If we had 500 more band directors like you...

I've used videos and audio tapes of drum corps, and taken students to live shows, with band programs before. There was always the disclaimer first. I did tell them about the hours and hours of rehearsal that went into the show. I didn't let them get intimidated because they were prepped. I did use the corps' performances for motivation, as something to strive for, to inspire them to maximize their rehearsal time to achieve the greatest results. Drum corps can be a great teaching tool if used properly.

Garry in Vegas

• Like 1

I've been to quite a few shows in the past 5 years....you know what I notice. About 2/5ths the people leave before any score is announced. That's not why they come to the show. Out of the 3/5ths remaining, I would wager 1/3 of them are there to see the encore performance.

People don't care about the scores as much as the corps and the diehards do.

All that proves is that 2/5 of the fans have Internet access, and thus don't need to wait in the stands to get the scores.