How amps and electronics saved drum corps by changing it.

Yeah, you want GE to be 80%, perhaps? Execution is where many "fan friendly" corps go south. They can play, but they barely move and when they do...it's really hard to watch.

No, but I would REALLY like it to be fairly judged for the 40% it currently receives. And if you say that the Cadets, Cavies, and Phantom "barely move" and are "hard to watch", then I'll have to take your word on that. In my experience, it is COMPLETELY possible to please both the judges AND the fans. This is my request. I will agree that Crown has as much if not more standing still than BD this year, but they aren't too shabby, either.

However, if the results of tonight's QFs continue to hold, this may be a mute point (for this year).

I wonder why you seem so uptight about me wanting corps to connect with the audience? Is it really too much to ask that they not confuse/ignore/mislead the people who pay to support them?

If we had 500 more band directors like you...

I've used videos and audio tapes of drum corps, and taken students to live shows, with band programs before. There was always the disclaimer first. I did tell them about the hours and hours of rehearsal that went into the show. I didn't let them get intimidated because they were prepped. I did use the corps' performances for motivation, as something to strive for, to inspire them to maximize their rehearsal time to achieve the greatest results. Drum corps can be a great teaching tool if used properly.

Garry in Vegas

as part of a huge regional band circuit, I know DCi sends stuff to our members. DCi tries,. but you can not make the directors push it