Marching Trombone/Flugelbone?

Driving Park

Hi everyone,

I know that under the current rules the use of trombones is prohibited in DCI competition, which I agree with completely because the slide would be too ungainly for the complex shows, and even valve trombones still have that section in front of the bell. But what about marching trombones like this one or this one? They're just as bell front as marching baritones and euphoniums, just with a small bore trombone's bore and large bore trombone's bell size (.500" and 8.5", respectively). Theoretically if a corps wanted tenor, baritone AND bass voicings (trombone, baritone, euph) to supplement the contra line they could use these, couldn't they? Then add the three different alto voicings (flugel, mellophone and French horn) to the sopranos (and maybe even a picc line) and you'd have the ultimate brass line!

Edited by Driving Park

Hi everyone,

I know that under the current rules the use of trombones is prohibited in DCI competition, which I agree with completely because the slide would be too ungainly for the complex shows, and even valve trombones still have that section in front of the bell. But what about marching trombones like this one or this one? They're just as bell front as marching baritones and euphoniums, just with a small bore trombone's bore and large bore trombone's bell size (.500" and 8.5", respectively). Theoretically if a corps wanted tenor, baritone AND bass voicings (trombone, baritone, euph) to supplement the contra line they could use these, couldn't they? Then add the three different alto voicings (flugel, mellophone and French horn) to the sopranos (and maybe even a picc line) and you'd have the ultimate brass line!

I am sure those would be fine in competition, I think the rule is just bell front and valved, but the spirit of the rule is to have bugle type instruments which your links are.

Also I think due to the size of the horn line being somewhat static, putting that many voices in may take away from the overall sound. You already have a tenor baritone and bass voice in most corps (bari, euph, contra) so adding a brighter sound to that mix might actually make the corps sound more marching band than drum corps. Also I think that when an arranger wants a different color, they do bring out instruments like a flugel and a pic trumpet. Also Crossmen have had flugel lines off and on in recent years.

Why would you want to?

• Like 1

If I wanted to hear trombones, I'd just go to a marching band show..

Why would you want to?

I mean if I was fielding a corps I wouldn't use them (although my A Class fantasy corps does, just because); I was just wondering if you COULD if you were one of those corps that wanted every timbre available. For the record, euphonium is one of my primary instruments so I'm not just trying to get trombones in to DCI corps.satisfied.gif If I had my way, DCI wouldn't even be using Bbs...

If I wanted to hear trombones, I'd just go to a marching band show..

Well marching trombones/flugelbones, although designed to sound like a slide trombone, fail to do so the same as valve trombones do. They're more mellow than a slide trombone (but less than a marching baritone, for example), which is why slide trombonists generally stay away from them and you don't see any professional valve trombonists floating around (not that I know of anyway), except for the occasional novelty double. In my opinion they sound more like a light baritone horn.

Edited by Driving Park