Auditioning Help

I'm a 17 year-old male from Pennsylvania strongly considering doing DCI. I have narrowed down my choices of corps to audition with based on distance, production quality, and how I view the corps as being managed and run.

My top two choices are Cavaliers and Crown, with Bluecoats and Cadets in the "dugout." I am a competent (not intending to sound so pretentious, but I am pretty talented) baritone/euphonium player, and I see my playing as competitive enough to land me a spot in these organizations. In addition, my marching band leaves me with a basic background in visual technique.

My biggest problem, though, is with my parents, who do not take me completely seriously when I show them videos or talk with them about these corps. My mother and I went to Allentown for the Eastern Classic, so some exposure was made there, but I am getting the vibes that they don't think I will actually go through with marching a corps.

I compiled a list of audition dates and prices for them, in the hopes of sitting down with them and discussing the chance for me to simply audition this year. Note, I will not try to convince them that I NEED to march with a corps if I make it, but that going to an audition camp will provide me with valuable experience and knowledge for future auditions. I also know that it would be highly unlikely for me to march upcoming season anyways, seeing as the conflict between DCI pre-season and public school graduation would make ALL of my parents' hairs turn grey.

Are there any words of advice anyone has regarding auditioning and that process? The Cavalier's audition in Chicago is my best bet, but that would require planning of flights, packing, etc. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm a 17 year-old male from Pennsylvania strongly considering doing DCI. I have narrowed down my choices of corps to audition with based on distance, production quality, and how I view the corps as being managed and run.

My top two choices are Cavaliers and Crown, with Bluecoats and Cadets in the "dugout." I am a competent (not intending to sound so pretentious, but I am pretty talented) baritone/euphonium player, and I see my playing as competitive enough to land me a spot in these organizations. In addition, my marching band leaves me with a basic background in visual technique.

My biggest problem, though, is with my parents, who do not take me completely seriously when I show them videos or talk with them about these corps. My mother and I went to Allentown for the Eastern Classic, so some exposure was made there, but I am getting the vibes that they don't think I will actually go through with marching a corps.

I compiled a list of audition dates and prices for them, in the hopes of sitting down with them and discussing the chance for me to simply audition this year. Note, I will not try to convince them that I NEED to march with a corps if I make it, but that going to an audition camp will provide me with valuable experience and knowledge for future auditions. I also know that it would be highly unlikely for me to march upcoming season anyways, seeing as the conflict between DCI pre-season and public school graduation would make ALL of my parents' hairs turn grey.

Are there any words of advice anyone has regarding auditioning and that process? The Cavalier's audition in Chicago is my best bet, but that would require planning of flights, packing, etc. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

You might want to look at Boston. You can go to their web site for the up and coming year. Winter practices in FL.

save the money. tell them you'll pay for it yourself. that should prove to them you're serious

I applaud your desire and ambition. I had the same feelings 31 years ago when my dream was to march Phantom Regiment. My parents asked me to put together a pros/cons chart and study it. I did that, then presented it to them (which included how I would pay for everything myself). I marched french horn '81-'83 and those are some of the best memories of my entire life. Your parents know what is best and you should respect their wishes. However, come up with some valid arguments and see what happens. I wish you the best!

• Like 1

Don't discount marching a DCA corps for a year or two...you'll save money, there will be less chance of conflicts with your schooling and you will gain invaluable experience, as well as "networking" (lots of DCA staff/instructors/judges are also involved in DCI). You might be surprised at the numbers who march DCA as a precursor to DCI.