Consensus and the Law of Averages

I noticed that DCI uses non-overlapping judging panels for quarters, semis and finals. So, for 3 shows, they use a total of 30 judges. Each judge works one show. Given that larger judging panels will generally give more consistent scores, why not use all 30 judges for all 3 shows?

Also, I would suggest that the judges have a conference on Fri and Sat morning to discuss the previous nights performances and scores relative to the judging criteria.

I think that the result of these 2 changes is that there would be more consistency and accuracy in the scores for semis and finals. In other words, I think the scores would better reflect the consensus in the judging community relative to the criteria on the sheets.

I think that you would see considerable change in placements from quarters to semis, but little change from semis to finals.

The net result of this would be to take variability in the composition of the judging panel out of the equation.

Too many judges on the field at one time = More clutter than a BD show.

The conference before semis to "make things more consistent" is like a yellow slip of paper telling judges how to score finals.

There was no problem championship week with wildly inconsistent judging.

You can't make judging of an art form this precise. A little independence in judgment is a good thing.

• Like 4

Too many judges on the field at one time = More clutter than a BD show.

The conference before semis to "make things more consistent" is like a yellow slip of paper telling judges how to score finals.

There was no problem championship week with wildly inconsistent judging.

You can't make judging of an art form this precise. A little independence in judgment is a good thing.

The clutter issue is legit.

Nothing in my proposal would prevent any judge from exercise independent judgment.

Wait, you want more consistent judging in finals? The top 12 stayed in the exact same position all 3 days... can't get much more consistent than that!

To refine the idea, I'd rather see the sheets and the system divided more clearly into captions that are "design" oriented and captions that are "performance and technique" based. Were that the case, then it seems to me that you could make a case for averaging the more subjective "design" scores from all three nights on Finals night, to allow for consensus on the best/most effective production designs, but leave the "performance/technique" numbers specific to that night's performance.

The system now is a dog's breakfast of half-baked notions and invisible boundaries. Clearly delineate just WHO is being judged (the design staff or the performers) in each caption and you go a ways towards coming up with a system that can be used more reliably in determining what corps need to do in order to improve.

• Like 3

Would be sort of fun for a year if John Cage ran DCI.... placements would be determined by consulting the i ching, flipping coins 53 times, or counting ridges on the underside of mushrooms harvested during the final chord of each show. I'm all for variety.

Edit: I mean... other than the fact that he is dead... though, just a matter of time before Skype figures out how to bridge that gap.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

I think that you would see considerable change in placements from quarters to semis, but little change from semis to finals.

Then, have everyone compete Friday as the semi-finals and top 12-15 on Saturday for finals. But, then there might be a debate about money lost/gained by cutting back one day.

no need to change how it works, as it's worked the best this year it ever has