Where were you when you heard Elvis died?

Some even say the Albert Disalvo wasn't the strangler either !

LOL......you're showing your age !!! I remember reading how it was alleged that he cut off a guy's head, and put in on the front porch of another enemy. That would make me sleep with one eye open !

Since you asked…and now, my “Elvis Story”. After my corps folded, following the ’73 season, I made the choice of a part time job in broadcasting instead of joining the NY Skyliners. A little over a year later, the part time cameraman job developed into full time sportscaster. I was in the newsroom that afternoon. (I still have the original Bulletin sent out by UPI.) Our phone lines lit up.

I took one call from a woman in hysterics, she said her friend had called with a “bad joke” – Elvis was dead. She asked if it was true. I told her it was. She went wild. I resisted the temptation to tell her that, as far as we knew, her husband was OK.

Elvis died on August 16th, he was scheduled to do a concert in Utica on August 19th. The mayor of Utica, at that time, was a flamboyant personality. Others would describe him using much different words. He was taking credit for the Elvis concert, although Elvis was actually on a tour that was coursing through Central New York. That August, the mayor was involved in one of his many law suits, this one involving a former city employee. After a press conference the week before, the worker’s lawyer joked when asked about the mayor’s claims of credit for the “King’s” appearance. The lawyer said, “Elvis will drop dead before he plays in Utica.”

We called the attorney that evening. He wasn’t yet aware of Presley’s passing. He claimed he had nothing to do with it.

Back to you.

That was pretty wacky... going through two popes (Paul XI and John Paul I) within the space of a couple of months.

C'mon Fran ... didn't you watch the Godfather III? ... It was all explained ... well ... sorta ...

:-)

I bet many of us were in Denver. I was going thru breakfast line before a long day of rehearsal!

I was in the stands on Boulder watching prelims. A murmur went through the crowd. I can't remember who was performing.

I was with Wausau Story then and I think we might have been on Golden, CO. Someone mentioned it during a rehearsal break IIRC.