Douglasville Ga

Douglasville Georgia

DCA/DCA-South Contest

Alliance 84.2

Corps Vets 81.3

Tampa Bay Thunder 76.55

Shenandoah Sound 68.8

The South shall rise again!

Enjoyed the show and great weather. Liked the new mini-corps "Rocketeers" Hunstville, AL. Good luck to you in future I&E @ DCA.

Tampa Bay took me by surprise. Quite large for a new all-age but you can tell they need more reps and competition. At times the sound from the hornline was a bit flat and hornplayers not coming in together but all in all I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them for the first time.

Shenandoah Sound was a big surprise. Last time I saw them they only had like 5 horns and a couple of drums. Liked their book with Gershwin music. Always nice to listen to music you know.

Alliance is much bigger now then when I last saw them. I just wish they had a CG because then they can really fill up the field, but big improvements overall since I last saw them. Clean horn line and nice size percussion section. Drill really moves them around the field and at times too quick for them to do but time will tell in a few weeks before Rochester. (Note: if only they had "G" bugles again and blow the stands away")

CV has a great guard that fills the field well and deserved high honors for CG. If they can get a few more percussion and at least 10 more brass they would do really well.

Overall I am glad I went and got to see these corps again. It has been a couple of years since I last saw these corps and now with trumphets instead of bugles the sound is much different. These corps need 60 brass to get the power of 30 "G" bugles.

Possible Three Southern Corps in Finals. YEAH!!!

With a little bit of hard work and a final push, Sound could make it four for four. We have come a long way.

• Like 1

It has been a couple of years since I last saw these corps and now with trumphets instead of bugles the sound is much different. These corps need 60 brass to get the power of 30 "G" bugles.

Or could it be that the corps today are filled with mostly high-school aged kids, as opposed to older, veteran players when you saw them last?

With a little bit of hard work and a final push, Sound could make it four for four. We have come a long way.

I'm really enjoying Sound this year. By far the best show I've ever heard from you guys. Congrats on everything you've achieved so far this year!

• Like 2

Or could it be that the corps today are filled with mostly high-school aged kids, as opposed to older, veteran players when you saw them last?

Looking at the DCA Douglasville show this weekend I made the following observations.

Shenandoah sound this weekend was packed full of "seniors" sprinkled in the mix were some 18 to mid 20's. They did drill that was inline with the core age of their membership. The core membership would have never been able to keep pace with the visual demand that CV and Alliance had and for that I commend the visual designers for writing the book for the ability of the membership.

Moving on to TBT they seem to have a good mix of young ones and "seniors" in the ranks. Probably something like 60% and 40% but that is just a guesstimate. Their drill demand was higher than SS but less than that of CV and Alliance. Many of their seniors seem to be in pretty decent shape and could handle the athleticism demand of the show pretty well. Did not see a lot of people running and tripping all over themselves. The show was well written for the balance of bodies they had on the field and they have the ability to clean up the visuals they have in the upcoming weeks and rehearsals they have left.

Now lets turn to CV. They are MUCH younger than they have been in the past. I think a lot of that has to do with the programming direction that CV is moving in. Their shows the last two years have been DCI influenced and it seems to be attracting a much younger marcher. Also the demand of their shows has increased dramatically and are more geared to a more athletic marcher. It seems like the youth they are attracting are maybe a little less experienced than some of the season vets they have had over the years but they appeared to be eager to jump in and learn. I am sure if CV continues to hold these young spirited marchers over the course of the next few years they will be stronger than ever.

Alliance programing has always geared towards a more youthful DCI market. Its the way they wanted it from the very beginning. If you like to see a lot of movement and kids running up and down the field at near DCI tempos Alliance is the place to be. Those kids were running for the a large portion of the show. Ive only seen a couple of DCA corps that have tried that pace before. Bucs being one of them.

I think when you look at DCA overall the core age is dropping each and every year.

Edited by camel lips

THANK YOU for talking about Shenandoah Sound. I have been feeling left out in all of these discussions, because everyone wants to talk about the open class corps, and who is getting to finals. We may not hit it this year, but dang it, people should know that we will soon be contenders. I am VERY proud of my group this year, especially since we have already achieved our highest score in the history of the group two weeks before finals. Wow, I might even be more proud of this group than I am of my own high school program. I can't WAIT for Reading and Rochester.

• Like 2