Drum Corps Virtual

I imagine the only fans that would fill out sheets would be officious nerds like myself. I also fill out score cards at baseball games. Maybe a straight up fan vote would be more engaging?

I really like the idea of including the international corps, and really, really like the student fan network subscription. There's a lot of talk about engaging "the kids" but little concrete action towards that goal. Can't imagine DCI bringing itself to do something like that.

Edited by Rifuarian

Correct answer I think but it doesn't hurt to fantasize!

Fast forward a year or so... and DCI actually did it.... even to the point of the suggestion in a previous related on topic of no limitation on instrumentation for micro-corps.

To clarify, this isn't exactly drum corps in the competive sense or even formally organized sense (at least not to start). This could even be a group of kids getting together to perform. It could even be an all trumpet ensemble, or only percussion... doesn't matter. The only thing that is important is that there is interest, then action.

So, yeah... fantasy. But, the cool thing about fantasizing it is the first step toward making something a reality. :)

Edited by danielray

I don't think virtual competitions will snag the youth. Lets keep your idea about the student rate fan network but think about other ways DCI can tailor to that demo that doesn't involve virtual competitions because I don't think that would be popular with kids. It's not interactive, all your doing is sitting there watching adults opinions of drum corps YouTube videos.... Boring!

There are already thousands of drum corps videos on YouTube for free and each of them don't have that many views (most I've seen is a couple 100,000 - 200,000 plus). So what makes you think turning it into a paid subscription will make more people watch? Especially kids?

You need something Completly interactive for the highschoolers to be interested.

As a high schooler, I know I would get a fannetwork subscription if I could afford it. There's a lot of shows I would like to see that aren't on youtube.

As a high schooler, I know I would get a fannetwork subscription if I could afford it. There's a lot of shows I would like to see that aren't on youtube.

Hey Matt,

Out of curiosity.... how much do you think you and your peers might pay? which part of the country are you in?

Also, if you were able to get a free fan network subscription during the summer.... would it be worth it to receive daily email summaries of stuff going on on the road (scores, linkes to behind the scene videos, etc.) that were sponsored?

Would I virtually blog such events for DCI, or would I still have to show up in front of my computer in real time? And would either scenario be "virtually" the same thing? I'm so confused.

You're kidding DR. Right?

What would make you think I am kidding?

Stop and think for a second....

Free + regular engagement creates an opportunity to turn a school band kid that might have a casual interest into a hardcore fans. You can create hardcore fans if it is not easily accessible to them.

Make it EASY and ACCESSIBLE.

Free for youth under 21. Enter your personal details and 'opt-in' to claim your free membership (available through band director).

Stop and think for a second....

Free + regular engagement creates an opportunity to turn a school band kid that might have a casual interest into a hardcore fans. You can create hardcore fans if it is not easily accessible to them.

Make it EASY and ACCESSIBLE.

Free for youth under 21. Enter your personal details and 'opt-in' to claim your free membership (available through band director).

Didn't even need a second to think of more people becoming part of the entitlement society. Most HS students are able to come up with $40 for many other types of purchases in their lives.

• Like 1