Since No One Else Is bringing It Up

First, congratulations to all the Open Class corps for a GREAT showing at the World Championship Events this year! Special congrats to BDB for their 3rd title in a row, and to the Oregon Crusaders for their silver medal finish at finals, and the positive feedback they continue to receive for a great season and what the future may hold for them. :thumbup:

And now to my issue:

It seems that (for whatever reason), the Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets are not being credited for their Visual Caption Award win at Open Class Finals. For those that were at Open Class Finals, during the retreat/finale it was announced that SCVC won best visual. Additionally, the dci.org posted recaps for the 2011 Open Class Finals also reflect that the Vanguard Cadets won the visual caption award.

Open Class Visual Results (per the recaps):

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets - 19.0 (1st)

Oregon Crusaders - 18.7 (2nd)

Spartans - 18.6 (3rd)

Blue Devils B - 18.5 (4th)

Unfortunately, throughout the remainder of championships week, I noted more than one occassion where Oregon Crusaders were being credited with winning the Open Class Visual Caption Award. Furthermore, the posted article on dci.org about the World Championship Caption Awards gives credit to O.C. for winning visual. Finally, I've noted the recent article from the local paper in Portland, OR also crediting O.C. with winning visual. What's up here?

Does everyone else know something that I don't know? Am I reading the recaps wrong?

Did the announcer at Open Class Finals speak incorrectly?

Is there some other reason that this SCVC achievement is not being acknowledged?

By the way, I sent dci.org an email regarding this issue shortly after their Caption Awards Article came out. No response on the email, no correction in the article. (sigh...) :huh:

Congratulations Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets on a GREAT 2011 season, a wonderful visual caption win, and most importantly, epitomizing the class act that everyone expects from the Vanguard organization!

Edited by nemesiscorps

On the little story on DCI note that they say best Visual Performance, which was a sub-caption that OC did win (OC 19.4, SCVC 19.2). However, its strange that they put up the sub-caption win on the story since SCVC won best visual overall. I think what happened is that they were looking at the foot judges score as opposed to the combined visual score that won SCVC High Visual. Which may I say, huge props on Vanguard!

Oregon Crusaders won The Best Visual Performance Award, which is based solely on the Visual Performance caption. For the Open Class Finals finale announcement, the award was erroneously award to Vanguard Cadets, based on the corps having the higher score when the Visual Performance and Visual Ensemble scores were combined. But that's not how the award is presented, and so Oregon Crusaders did not get the chance to hear their corps announced as having won the High Visual Performance Award. (Color Guard also doesn't count towards the award as there is a separate award for that.)

I see in my recap analysis that we made the correction in the paragraph about the awards, but not in the paragraph about Vanguard Cadets. I have just asked that to be corrected. (I sent a note about the awards correction as soon as I got the info on my BlackBerry as I was driving to Indy. But the Vanguard Cadets paragraph got lost in the shuttle.)

I hope that clears things up for all.

Oregon Crusaders won The Best Visual Performance Award, which is based solely on the Visual Performance caption. For the Open Class Finals finale announcement, the award was erroneously award to Vanguard Cadets, based on the corps having the higher score when the Visual Performance and Visual Ensemble scores were combined. But that's not how the award is presented, and so Oregon Crusaders did not get the chance to hear their corps announced as having won the High Visual Performance Award. (Color Guard also doesn't count towards the award as there is a separate award for that.)

I see in my recap analysis that we made the correction in the paragraph about the awards, but not in the paragraph about Vanguard Cadets. I have just asked that to be corrected. (I sent a note about the awards correction as soon as I got the info on my BlackBerry as I was driving to Indy. But the Vanguard Cadets paragraph got lost in the shuttle.)

I hope that clears things up for all.

Thanks Mike!

That clears things up, and I appreciate your taking the time to do so. The award announcement at finals was certainly conflicting with subsequent references to the visual award. I'd been fishing around for clarification for some time now, with no response.

Again, congrats to O.C. for a great season, as well as the Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets with one of their strongest corps ever. The "Balance" program is my favorite SCVC show to date. :thumbup:

I also want to make special note of the outstanding performance of the Spartans color guard! I thought they were incredible, and certainly deserved the Best Color Guard Award.

It seems that the dynamics of competition between the two classes has changed for the better, hopefully giving many of the Open Class corps a burst of confidence and momentum moving forward to 2012. Thank you DCI for giving these corps the opportunity to perform alongside their World Class counterparts. I think it was the brightest light of the 2011 World Championships! :cool:

Again, congrats to O.C. for a great season, as well as the Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets with one of their strongest corps ever. The "Balance" program is my favorite SCVC show to date. :thumbup:

Agreed. But the 2009 show still my favorite SCVC shows, such a good show concept.

Edited by MelloHorn13

Thanks Mike!

That clears things up, and I appreciate your taking the time to do so. The award announcement at finals was certainly conflicting with subsequent references to the visual award. I'd been fishing around for clarification for some time now, with no response.

You're most welcome. And because of your post, the article about the recaps from Open Class Finals is now updated and correct. While we had the paragraph changed about the special awards, we didn't catch the paragraph about Vanguard Cadets. That's all fixed now. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.