Short, Terse Review of the Meadowlands show

Got in at 4 AM last night from the Meadowlands. They had not one, but two three lanes to one bottlenecks on i-80 going home last night. That, combined with the concession prices, means that I will never go back to Giants Stadium for an early-season show.

I agree with Gmichael1230 that the crowd was extremely rude. The woman in front of me actually CALLED someone on her cell phone during the Raiders' show. That, and there was some joker (kindest word available) who yelled, "You stink, Cavaliers, I'm not impressed!" after scores were announced.

Seats, in fifth row of mezzanine, on the thirty. Ventiliation system, as well as hot air from people in front of me, disrupted my hearing of the show.

RAIDERS: Some nice brass moments and really primo high and middle brass solos. Generally a very confident looking corps with individual exceptions. That will clear up as they go.

CROWN: The drill is the only weak point here. It's not even that it's not clean, it's just not written well, as usual. Actually, let me clarify. Certain impact points are written well, but everything else seems to have been an afterthought. I have never understood Crown's approach to visual. But the color guard can do their work, and drums have been discussed on another board. My only thought with the perc. is that the field drums only play half of the show. Three-quarters I can handle, but half? Due to where I requested to sit (another major error) I couldn't really hear the pit too well.

BLUECOATS: Much cleaner and more focused drill. They may have too many quiet, mysterious moments from the brass. One neat feature is the "prison lament" solos from the brass. Really neat show idea which needs a lot more emotion and energy to allow it to translate into higher scores and larger ovations.

CROSSMEN: Dirty in every way - visually and musically. Other than that, very entertaining show. Only thing I don't like - the ending. Bringing the wghole corps to the sidelines and wailing for about a minute has only been done like, fifty thousand times. Do some more drill and clean the rest up and you might be over the Bluecoats someday.

CAVALIERS: The first two sections are forgettable if you have seen last year's show or even encountered it in its recorded versions. It's only with the third section that they begin to do anything new. Jaw dropping demand on the musicians. I don't mind the guard uniforms. The music is even more forgettable than last year - at least last year had a musical phrase that kept repeating over and over again so that you could get it into your head. If drum corps is the sum of its parts, then Cavies are drum corps.

CADETS: I was actually on the edge of my seat seeing whether they had what it took to come close to Cavies. The short answer: I doubt it. But I did enjoy the show, a lot. Too much park and bark in Malaguena. High brass seems to be the only weak part of the line - they do have some monster soloists, however. The drumline is featured extensively, which is a good thing.

Note to YEA!: If Giants Stadium does not have an American flag visible in the stadium, then you should provide one for the National Anthem.

I was at the show last night and I agree the stadium atmosphere was horrible, and I am never paying that much for food.

The cavs have a great visual package, they just have to polish up a little, I wish they had a stronger ending, (I know its still early)

The cadets were looking great but the music wasnt there, and it could have been alot cleaner. Mesg to Hopkins--If your gonna copy off of other bands, copy another corp and not a highschool, (I noticed a unique horns down move that only the 2 schools of my schools visual tech use.<**> )

It looks to be a great season and I cant wait till championships

Mesg to Hopkins--If your gonna copy off of other bands, copy another corp and not a highschool, (I noticed a unique horns down move that only the 2 schools of my schools visual tech use.<**> )

:huh:

Call me crazy, but I bet Cadets did that "unique horns down" before a high school did.

Mesg to Hopkins--If your gonna copy off of other bands, copy another corp and not a highschool, (I noticed a unique horns down move that only the 2 schools of my schools visual tech use.<**> )

:huh:

Call me crazy, but I bet Cadets did that "unique horns down" before a high school did.

If he's talking about what I think he is, the Cadets have been doing that for quite some time, haven't they? I mean, get real ... if I saw a local high school do something, and then noticed a D1 drum corps doing the same thing, would I automatically assume that the corps was copying the high school? Especially if I were a youngster and hadn't been following the activity for more than a few years. (Not a dig, just the truth.) "Only" those two schools do it? - :huh: - In the whole country?