Weekend Thoughts - Mini Corps and a Couple I&E

I&E

I just wanted to make two quick comments on a couple of I&E performance.

Chicks with Sticks – What can I say about you ladies? I know nerves seemed to get you a bit right in the very beginning, but once you got going it was awesome. The crowd was going nuts. They really loved when you put your corps jackets on and thanks for taking a moment to let the people read each corps jacket. The audience loved it. I felt honored to watch you guys rehearse and then perform and I don’t know how you do what you do with those snares, but keep doing it and hopefully we’ll see more of you in the future. Great job!

The Hitmen – Why aren’t you a mini corps yet!?!? Come on. Okay, so I know there’s a bit more involved with cost, paperwork, copyright, etc., but take the leap! That Friday night crowd needs to see you. It’s that simple.

Mini Corps

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to catch any of the performers before Freelancers except about 40 seconds of the end of Minne Brass’ show. Those 40 seconds were phenomenal, though.

Freelancers Alumni – They played Breaking Up Is Hard to Do, Lover Come Back to Me, Genji, and I Get Crazy. Naval Hymn was the warm up tune. For clarification, I did not play in the mini corps but helped with the drums so I was at least able to watch the show from the side. I think we did pretty well, though I think, surprisingly, some nerves did hit a couple of people and I can’t give a review of the sound because I was so far off to the side. What I could hear sounded good. The crowd seemed to enjoy the music and I received some nice comments about the performance later in the evening, so all in all, we’ll take it.

Mass Brass – Wow, we’ve ALL taken it up a notch in our performances. Mass Brass, you had some great movement going on up there with some really well-designed impact points. Also a hell of an opening statement by you guys. Kudos to you.

Ghost Riders – I always love you guys. You’re one of my favorite mini corps. It helps that Ghost Riders is one of my favorite songs so you had that stacked in your favor since the beginning. As with the other mini corps I saw, you also stepped up your performance. You could see the desire to win with you guys. I loved your show and I’m always astounded by your sound. Every year you guys just have the smoothest tone out there. It’s amazing. I did think the props were just a little big this year, but the ending effect was completely worth it, so I’ll call it even on that one. Can’t wait to see what you do next year.

Star United – Okay so back in 2007 I saw you guys for the first time and you were amazing. At that time I’d only ever done pit and guard, but even then I knew your horn playing was phenomenal, difficult, ridiculously good, etc., etc. Since that first time I’ve seen you, I’ve learned to play euph. Now I always knew what you did was unbelievable and mind-boggling and just flat out crazy, but now that I play a horn and know how difficult it truly is, I know! I mean, come on. It’s just not human. Huge congrats on your score of 100. You’ve worked hard for it. I was also thrilled to have the chance to hear you play out on the dock. That was really nice and a great way to end the season.

All in all, the mini corps I saw were nothing short of phenomenal but we were missing some pretty integral groups. We need Erie Thunderbirds, Golden Eagles, Amoskeag Sound (One of my personal favorites) and the new guys, Sine Wave, back. Plus our missing competitive corps Music City Legend and getting Renegades back on the mini corps stage plus we hit SoCal Dream’s every other year schedule next year so, hopefully, they’ll bring a mini corps along as well. Lastly, I’d give anything to see Skyliners Alumni come back in the style they played for the 2007 mini corps. That was just killer.

Thanks to all the DCA staff and competitors for a wonderful I&E and mini corps event.

• Like 1

Cathie, great reviews! :thumbup:

I'm glad you 1) had a good time, and 2) that the Freelancers Alumni got to perform at the alumni show. They made a bit of history, being the first West Coast alumni corps to be in that show.

I'm glad you 1) had a good time, and 2) that the Freelancers Alumni got to perform at the alumni show. They made a bit of history, being the first West Coast alumni corps to be in that show.

Thanks so much for the kind words Fran. Hopefully *crossing fingers* Freelancers can continue to make history and perform again at the Alumni Spectacular. We had so much fun. And, hopefully, DCA can get more of our usual suspects and not-so-usual suspects back to mini corps.

By the way, great job announcing Sunday, as always.

I only saw Freelancers on Youtube (slacker that I am) but thought they were terrific. The mini-corps competition must be as intense as the Open Class finals.