Because of my involvement with another corps, my viewing time was limited to the top four from Saturday night. It was a brief snapshot, but the differences among "The-Cream-of-the-Crop" were remarkable.

Before I start:

-This is mostly based on first impressions from a week ago

-Alcoholic beverages may have been involved. Combine that with my already fuzzy memory and you have my review

-All the viewings are first-time; except for MN Brass, which I saw in August

-Still relatively new to DCA; so I'm not knowledgable of certain corps' known strength or weakness ("corps X has a strong drumline")

-If these observations offend you, good

- Empire Statesmen -

I really dug "The Wizard of Oz" program, but this year didn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, the musical ensemble hit it hard. They know how to perform. That's what I think set them apart from Hurricanes' performance, especially the hornline. But for for an MJ show, I didn't feel much excitement from the first half of the show. "Billie Jean" was arranged well but didn't floor me. "You Are Not Alone" simply isn't a good drum corps ballad (or even an MJ tune for that matter. It was composed by R. Kelly). The second half was much better designed. "Smooth Criminal/They Don't Care About Us" brought life back to the show, and the reprise closer was what they needed to finish.

I would have liked to see more guard costumes, but the 'Bubbles Era' royal threads were cool.

- CT Hurricanes -

Hurricanes were the exact opposite from ES as far as strengths/weaknesses. Though the performance quality fell short of ES's (with the exception of the guard), the show design was much more engaging. I've seen so many Gershwin shows that I'm almost sick of the guy. But the staff at Hurcs wrote a unique, drum corps-appropriate program. Parts of it might have lagged on, but there was definite direction and risks in each movement — musically and visually. An example is the exposed forms, which at times showed dirt in the field musical ensemble, but showed off the guard.

Speaking of which, that guard is amazing. Best ensemble in DCA. With respect to MBI's guard, the Hurcs showed unmatchable confidence and experience at prelims. Unless they laid an egg at finals, I'm not sure why the Hurcs' guard got slotted down.

- Reading Buccaneers -

This is actually the second time I've ever seen a Bucs show live. Like the previous time, I was floored by how much vocabulary of movement the marching ensemble has. No other corps moves like them. Last week, however, it finally looks like the demand caught up with the performers (which after six years of unmatched dominance is pretty #### good). Couple that with their not-as-tight program, and that left it open for MBI to take the top spot.

That said, I really enjoyed the 'Dancer's Dream' concept. The show has fun with transitions and gets the viewer lost (in a good way). I especially loved the subtleties (i.e. starting the show at a +1/-1 in the middle of a movement).

- Minnesota Brass -

After Prelims, I went out for some more drinks with a friend of mine who insisted that MBI clearly deserved the top spot. I maintained that their design/performance was 'good enough' to win, but still pretty close to Bucs on any given night.

I guess we were both right.

Even though I'm not anointing MBI the 'undisputed champion,' I do believe that this is the best product they've ever put out. What's more amazing is that they won with a relatively young group, especially in the guard. I still believe Hurc's guard put on a clinic, but to see a relatively inexperienced group turn into the top guard is a huge credit to the staff. And then there's the drumline, also relatively inexperienced, but incredibly clean and not afraid to back down from yet another challenging book. The 'X' factor this year, however, was the hornline. Every year, it seems like they struggled to play catch up with the Bucs. Not this year, where their prelims showed of a mature and present sound.

After watching the staff push the members so hard last year (at least that was my impression with the caravan show), it seems like they took a more refined approach with designing and cleaning the show. Every moment came across clear.

Either way, congrats MBI!

- Minnesota Brass -

After Prelims, I went out for some more drinks with a friend of mine who insisted that MBI clearly deserved the top spot. I maintained that their design/performance was 'good enough' to win, but still pretty close to Bucs on any given night.

I guess we were both right.

Even though I'm not anointing MBI the 'undisputed champion,' I do believe that this is the best product they've ever put out. What's more amazing is that they won with a relatively young group, especially in the guard. I still believe Hurc's guard put on a clinic, but to see a relatively inexperienced group turn into the top guard is a huge credit to the staff. And then there's the drumline, also relatively inexperienced, but incredibly clean and not afraid to back down from yet another challenging book. The 'X' factor this year, however, was the hornline. Every year, it seems like they struggled to play catch up with the Bucs. Not this year, where their prelims showed of a mature and present sound.

After watching the staff push the members so hard last year (at least that was my impression with the caravan show), it seems like they took a more refined approach with designing and cleaning the show. Every moment came across clear.

Either way, congrats MBI!

I think you're firing on most cylinders here. Minnesota's guard,however, is not as "young" or "inexperienced" as you think though. There are 5, 10 and even 15-year veterans in that guard. The difference this year was the smart writing for DCA from the very beginning.

For 7 years with the Kilties I had an opportunity to see MBI 3-4 times every year. This first year not marching the only time I saw them was at DCI Minn and it was clear that this show out of many great shows over the years had everything they needed to take the top spot. Last years too could have taken it as well, didnt agree with the 2nd place finish, but one just got the impression they would not be denied this year.

• Like 1