1982 Genneseo Knights

"Ruslan and Ludmilla" was 1983!

Or, were those two separate thoughts? If so, never mind.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick note about Rita. At the end of one season, (I can't recall if it was '81 or '82), Rita was beat out of 1st chair at ISU by a freshman. She said she didn't feel right about taking her oboe on tour and practicing. One day, at our corps hall, she played for me. My jaw hit the floor--it was the first time I had ever heard her play, and it was beautiful! I told her she was going to take the oboe on tour--yeah, we had a lot of work to do, but there's always extra time to pursue one's goals in life. The staff would just have to understand. Everyone understood, she was just as great as always in the keyboard section, and she gained back her 1st chair position in the fall. One of the greatest things I recently found is a cassette tape of me and Rita playing our '81 show upstairs in the tire room of Ken's Skelly station in Geneseo! There's about 12 minutes of music and 10 minutes of laughter! She even made me laugh the day I showed up at rehearsal after having a root canal!

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Just a quick note about Rita. At the end of one season, (I can't recall if it was '81 or '82), Rita was beat out of 1st chair at ISU by a freshman. She said she didn't feel right about taking her oboe on tour and practicing. One day, at our corps hall, she played for me. My jaw hit the floor--it was the first time I had ever heard her play, and it was beautiful! I told her she was going to take the oboe on tour--yeah, we had a lot of work to do, but there's always extra time to pursue one's goals in life. The staff would just have to understand. Everyone understood, she was just as great as always in the keyboard section, and she gained back her 1st chair position in the fall. One of the greatest things I recently found is a cassette tape of me and Rita playing our '81 show upstairs in the tire room of Ken's Skelly station in Geneseo! There's about 12 minutes of music and 10 minutes of laughter! She even made me laugh the day I showed up at rehearsal after having a root canal!

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Last time I saw her was when you guys came to SoCal at the Cerritos College show. I ran into her at the concession stand while my new wife was up in the stands. :sshh:

If you're in touch with her, send her my regards.

Phil Norris

Whatever happened to Pete Montanez? We worked together with Schlossgarde in Frankfurt , Germany and last I heard he was in LA doing movies.

Anyone?

i hear from pete (now pedro) on a semi-regular basis. just had an email from him the other day....actually several! he was letting me know (heheheheh!) that madison was putting an alumni corps together to perform at dci 2006. yep, i know pete.

he's in la la land, working on films, and teaching guards. many guards. i'm hoping we can hook up again some time in the future when hubby and i are out in cali visiting friends and family. he surprised me at glendora in 2003 by just strolling up to me after we finished our performance (socal dream) and saying hi. i just about dropped right there. wearing the ole madison jacket and all. he hasn't changed a bit! i hoped i did him proud, he was one of my two first guard instructors. the other was jeff fiedler. i've come a long way since then!

as for the very kind comments about knights '82. thank you. we worked out butts off in that corps. i'm sure all the '82-ers here will remember "the hill", and it's poor lighting, cause of my, um....injuries prior to first tour.

yep, it was a bar fight, alright!

:sshh:

Ü

jan

I never got the chance to see the Knights in person and have only heard their 1981 show on record. After checking out the website I have to say thier version of Russalin and Ludmilla just a notch above the version we played in 84 Crossmen. And I LOVE our version. The kids are getting tired of me playing it over and over and over............. and over again.