Balancing College and Drum Corps fees

worked 4 part time jobs (work study position in the school of music library, paid vocalist at a church, music theory tutor, retail sales in music or clothing - varied year to year)

qualified for a Pell Grant

never traveled for anything other than drum corps

didn't buy the latest and greatest anything

studied like crazy and spent a lot of fun days with my music major friends doing stuff that didn't cost money or only cost a little money (parks, free days at museums, cheap student rush seats at the Houston Symphony, things like that)

sent dozens and dozens of fundraising letters, asked people for donations to my dues in person, and took on babysitting and any other odd jobs that I could

Thanks for all of the input. I wont be starting DCI until fall 2015 so I have plenty of time to fundraise. Im planning on doing bluecoats and after my first summer of bluecoats ill get an appartment in Ohio and go to Ohio State and continue with bluecoats until I age out. I live in Florida so I have to pay for plane tickets to go to camps, or I could drive to the one camp in ATL. Im not really enthused about College Band, Id rather just devote my time to DrumCorps and schooling. I plan on eithing being a marketing/publicity major, or a music major. Id really like to get a job somewhere in the DCI corporation no matter what field of work I do.

Thanks for all of the input. I wont be starting DCI until fall 2015 so I have plenty of time to fundraise. Im planning on doing bluecoats and after my first summer of bluecoats ill get an appartment in Ohio and go to Ohio State and continue with bluecoats until I age out. I live in Florida so I have to pay for plane tickets to go to camps, or I could drive to the one camp in ATL. Im not really enthused about College Band, Id rather just devote my time to DrumCorps and schooling. I plan on eithing being a marketing/publicity major, or a music major. Id really like to get a job somewhere in the DCI corporation no matter what field of work I do.

OSU Marching Band is pretty different to corps style marching... It's probably a good thing you don't want to do both. Quite a few people have done both in the past, but they're different skill sets for sure.

Good luck with Bluecoats and OSU!

OSU Marching Band is pretty different to corps style marching... It's probably a good thing you don't want to do both. Quite a few people have done both in the past, but they're different skill sets for sure.

Good luck with Bluecoats and OSU

Thanks ! I've known for a while I dont want to do College band, even before I knew about DrumCorps. I've always wanted more than that. I cant really explain what I mean by that, but Im sure you get what I'm saying. hahah

Edited by JessicalovesBlueCoats<3
  • Like 1