West Johnston SW WGI 2011

OK, I have watched SW Finals from 2011 a great deal lately. I think the right unit won gold, but I am stuck with one big question:

How did West Johnston not place higher?

I'm not looking for a snarky, "people placed higher than them" or "they didnt score high enough" or "there were better shows"

I am looking for critical, constructive feedback.

What were the weaknesses of their show? What could they have done better?

Thanks

Not trying to be snarky, but what makes you think they should have placed higher? How high do you think they should have placed? Why would the guards that they should have beaten had lower placements than they had?

I ask because often people ask "why didn't so and so get a much higher place" but that's all they ask. No rationale behind the question. So, I'm just asking for your rationale behind the question.

And yes, we did love the show. We saw it live and thought it was great.

OK, I have watched SW Finals from 2011 a great deal lately. I think the right unit won gold, but I am stuck with one big question:

How did West Johnston not place higher?

I'm not looking for a snarky, "people placed higher than them" or "they didnt score high enough" or "there were better shows"

I am looking for critical, constructive feedback.

What were the weaknesses of their show? What could they have done better?

Thanks

I agree with you! West johnson should have been placed a lot higher... especially compared to shows like Logan which I think was placed far too high!

Hello!

Very fair question.

I also saw it live in Dayton - and had the same reaction (that they should have scored higher) but I thought I might be biased by the 3D aspect (and seeing the UD Arena full of people wearing 3D glasses!)

Here are my reasons why I feel the way I do:

-The tosses were incredible

-The work under the tosses were incredible (did you see the double turn on rifle?)

-Unison flag work was great

Those are just three, but three of the main reasons I think WJ should have placed higher...

Does that make sense?

Not comparing it to the others, but here is just my opinion which amounts to nothing:

-some ideas/staging slow to develop

-second half of program a step-down in quality and difficulty from first half

-movement looks a little SO, maybe those little ball things didn't help

• Like 1

Not comparing it to the others, but here is just my opinion which amounts to nothing:

-some ideas/staging slow to develop

-second half of program a step-down in quality and difficulty from first half

-movement looks a little SO, maybe those little ball things didn't help

That totally makes sense - I was thinking along the same lines. I think movement was/is the area they could most improve upon. It is also an area I tend to overlook (I'm a little old school in that regard).

Thanks for responding!

I definitely agree with the consensus that this program should've been rewarded more. I think one factor to consider (even though arguments can be made for either side) is the fact that they are new to SW. The only thing that I felt was a "weakness" was that at times the choreography was a little too "and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and..." if you know what I mean.