January 18, 2012

Mario P. Navetta

23 Howell Avenue

Fords, NJ 08863-1458

BklynMario@aol.com

732-636-4898

Re: Bob Bellarosa/ Halls of Fame Inductions

Ladies/Gentlemen,

As you might know, I am trying to gather the necessary information to have our friend, colleague, and, especially so in my case, mentor, inducted into several halls of fame. Please know from the outset, that Bobby warned me that he would sooner punch me out than allow me to do this while he was still alive on this earth. However, he did tell me that after he was gone, I could do so. And, while I say this half-jokingly, my intention is totally serious.

After having spent time researching the requirements and contacting some of Bobby’s innumerable friends, associates, etc., I still find myself lacking specific details. Unfortunately, so many contemporaries of “Da Kid,” have also left us. Consequently, I am reaching out to all of you (perhaps for more than the first time) for assistance.

Much of the required information is the same on all halls of fame applications. What I would like to do is to format a single data sheet that will satisfy all inductions. I’ve listed what I feel are commonalities. I already know a portion of the data, but certain elements e.g. time lines are, for lack of a better tem, sketchy. And that is why I really need you to help. Whatever you have to offer will be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for any “tribute” type information at this time, but I will need several of you to co-sponsor/support Bobby’s more than well-deserved admission to these honorary organizations. That will come later.

You can call, e-mail, or even write me. I would very much like to have Bobby recognized for all that he’s done as soon as possible. It’s already been far too long.

This is what I have so far. If there are any errors, omissions, additions, etc., please amend these.

*Junior Corps: William E. Sheridan Post (1945-46) Was taught to play French horn by Gene Rothstein (b.1929 d. 2004) of the Phoebe Apperson Post.

-1947?

-1948-1952 Holy Name Cadets

- In Army.

*Senior Corp: Joined Skyliners upon return in early 1950s

- Joined Hawthorne Caballeros (?)

*Instructional History: While I know that there were many corps that Bobby worked with, I’m really not certain as to who, when, where. I especially need help here.

*Judging History: Again, I don’t know.

*Administrative History: Same as above.

*Other: I do know that Bobby was an outstanding horn player. Way back when I hawked Eastern Review magazines for him, he used to allow me to wear his Skyliner jacket and his medaled from end to end overseas hat. As you might expect, I was his greatest salesman. The hat was placed in the coffin of his great friend, Joe Carullo.

-Member of Buglers Hall of Fame. The only reason that Bobby allowed this, was because it was involuntary – and he loved being a part of it.

-Publisher of Eastern Review/Heritage magazine.

-Produced hundreds of records, tapes, CDs. More than a few of these are sole existing copies.

- Published detailed pictorial volumes of drum and bugle corps history.

- Curator of The Original Drum and Bugle Corps Hall of Fame. No one came close to amassing the treasures that are representative of what we once were.

* Bobby, the Man: None of us could say enough about him.

And that’s it! What with some illness, family obligations, the holidays, and allowing an appropriate period for Bobby’s family to settle his affairs, I’ve had to hold off on this project. Now, I want to expedite this as best I can with your help.

Sincerely…………mario

Hi Mario ... as I mentioned to you yesterday, I'll send you all my notes from my conversations with Bob when I was researching his bio for his BHOF induction ... I'll also send you the info that Dave Shaw sent to me ... you might reach out to him on your own as well ... he knew Da Kidd better than anyone ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I used at the BHOF Induction Dinner in 2007 ... thought I'd share it with everyone:

Bob Bella Rosa

Bob “The Kidd” BellaRosa was born in 1931 in the Navy Yard section of Brooklyn. He’s been a Brooklyn resident his entire life and currently resides in the Red Hook section.

In his early teen years he joined St. Helen's Cadets, a military youth organization sponsored by the PAL & Boys Club. They had a drum corps component, and after period of time with the rifle, Bob switched over to drumming.

As he discovered drum corps at higher levels of proficiency he moved on to Todd Memorial, which was basically a feeder corps for the William E. Sheridan Police Post, one of the competitive eastern powerhouses of the era. After a short period with Todd he was moved up to Sheridan. In both corps he played what they called an alto-horn, which was basically a baritone with a French horn mouthpiece. He remained a member of Sheridan for four years, until their disbandment.

From there his intention was to move onto the Irvington (NJ) SAL corps. As he humorously tells the story, he wasn't able to get to Irvington by public transportation but, he was able to get to Garfield and became a Holy Name Cadet.

He joined Holy Name in 1949 and marched there for four years, playing French horn. He was a member of the National Championship Corps that traveled to California in 1950 and was Cadet of the Year in 1952.

In 1951 Bob began his senior corps career with Consolidated Edison Post, NYC, moving on a year later to Our Lady of Grace Lancers from Hoboken. In 1953 he joined the New York Skyliners, a corps that he had always admired, and in them found the second corps he would identify with for the rest of his life. To this day Bob signs off many of his communications: "Holy Name and Garbarina, the only two real drum corps."

Bob joined the NY Skyliners the end of 1952 and marched with them 1953-1967 and again from 1970-1973. In those “off” years he played with the Hawthorne Caballeros from 1968-1969. Somewhere along the line, during these years, he organized his own corps in Brooklyn called the Federales.

In the 1990’s he was instrumental in starting up the Blessed Sacrament Alumni and supplied their original equipment.

Bob estimates that he taught over 3000 kids in over 50 different junior drum corps.

He is a pioneer in the use of the mid-range horn in drum corps and has won over 50 Individual competitions garnering in championships at every level from circuit to state to national. He jokes that in his early competitions, a mid-range horn had never been seen, so they placed him with the baritiones.

Dave Shaw provides the following commentary:

“For more years than most current drum corps fans have been alive, Bob has championed the cause of our activity, and the need to preserve our history and honor the people that made that history.

He is a drum corps treasure, and a one-of-a-kind human being.

Any of us that have been fortunate enough to know him have been touched both personally and as fellow drum corps ‘addicts’ by his energy, his love, his talent, and his dedication.

I am proud and honored to call him my friend.

The world needs a lot more Bob Bella Rosa’s.”

I concur wholeheartedly.

I present to you a man who exemplifies the true embodiment of the Buglers Hall of Fame: superior talent, longevity in the activity and contribution to the art of bugling.

Robert “The Kidd” Bella Rosa

Andy

Edited by ajlisko

Andy,

I don't know Bob, but from everything I've heard he needs to be in the major Halls before he leaves us. I hope he changes his mind, but I think modesty prevents him.

Kevin Doherty

Andy,

I don't know Bob, but from everything I've heard he needs to be in the major Halls before he leaves us. I hope he changes his mind, but I think modesty prevents him.

Kevin Doherty

Hi Kevin ... unfortunately, Bobby left us last year ...

Andy

Sorry to hear that Andy. I've only been on DCP a short time and didn't know DCW was free only until last month. A great loss for the activity, but he leaves a great legacy that needs to be remembered.

Kevin

kdohert@gmail.com for direct contact

Based on their history within the activity and their longevity, why can't folks like Bobby Bellarosa and, yes, Moe Knox, be elected to the various Halls of Fame by a general acclamation???? For crying out loud, both of these men have been nominated numerous times by now. How about it??

I think if I hear one more time, 'they made money off drum corps', I might puke! EVERY member of the World Hall of Fame that has been an instructor, judge, or organization president (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) made money off drum corps. THAT excuse has become quite lame.

Cossetti- anything you can do on this count??????????

Ray

Edited by Ray Priester
  • Like 1