2000 Cavaliers is DCI.org Download of the Week

I'm wondering how many noticed a difference in quality between the B-flat and G horns in 2000 once they heard the CDs that they didn't notice during the live pageantry.

Funny. I had long ago forgotten that the Cavies didn't make the switch that year. Only reading your article did I remember Cadets and BD preceded Cavies to Bb in 2000.

I forgot, I think, because I don't hear the difference. Not now. Not then. I remember in the stadium in 2000 straining to find evidence of the difference, a vain exercise I repeated when the CDs arrived. I don't claim the most expert ear. Neither am I a novice. I hear nuance and subtlety as any decent musician must.

In 2000? At College Park, Md.? On the CD? Bb vs G? A wash.

HH

Just to be fair I'll accuse Mike of journalistic bias. After all he DID wear the uniform. Just kidding. :tongue:

Funny. I had long ago forgotten that the Cavies didn't make the switch that year. Only reading your article did I remember Cadets and BD preceded Cavies to Bb in 2000.

I forgot, I think, because I don't hear the difference. Not now. Not then. I remember in the stadium in 2000 straining to find evidence of the difference, a vain exercise I repeated when the CDs arrived. I don't claim the most expert ear. Neither am I a novice. I hear nuance and subtlety as any decent musician must.

HH

That's most interesting to me. I couldn't tell any difference at all when seeing the corps live, but I noticed a huge difference between Cavaliers and Cadets/BD once I heard the CDs. I thought at the time if I could hear such a difference between the G and B-flat horns with the visual stimuli removed, then a horn judge on the field would more easily tell a difference. I want to be clear that I didn't think Cavaliers sounded bad on the CDs; they just had a different quality of good from those other two corps, and the quality of sound from those corps seemed more symphonic to me...on the CDs, again with the visual pageantry removed which so greatly contributed to the phenomenal effect The Cavaliers' show had on my live.

Just to be fair I'll accuse Mike of journalistic bias. After all he DID wear the uniform. Just kidding. :tongue:

Hey, I've been accursed of worse, but even if I wore the uniform, (as did my DCI.org editor, DCI's video dude and Tom Blair), I doubt I could fit in one of them today.

That's most interesting to me... I want to be clear that I didn't think Cavaliers sounded bad on the CDs; they just had a different quality of good from those other two corps, and the quality of sound from those corps seemed more symphonic to me...on the CDs, again with the visual pageantry removed which so greatly contributed to the phenomenal effect The Cavaliers' show had on my live.

And interesting to me. I seem to recall in the stadium that several people were complaining how the Bb Cadets sounded "crass" and how the Bb Devils were having such trouble with the new low brass instruments that those voices were lost. So if anything, I would have expected folks to say it was the Bb corps that suffered on the CD, not the G Cavies. Just goes to show.

Also, for what it's worth, I do think that Cavies brass improved in the next several years. Not a big surprise therefore if the 2000 brass line didn't sound quite as good as BD or Cadets. Doubt that was a Bb/G issue.

HH

Hey, I've been accursed of worse, but even if I wore the uniform, (as did my DCI.org editor, DCI's video dude and Tom Blair), I doubt I could fit in one of them today.

Guard often uses a lot of spandex-type materials. Not saying it would be pretty. Just saying.

HH

Funny. I had long ago forgotten that the Cavies didn't make the switch thatyear. Only reading your article did I remember Cadets and BD preceded Cavies toBb in 2000.

I forgot, I think, because I don't hear the difference. Not now. Not then. Iremember in the stadium in 2000 straining to find evidence of the difference, avain exercise I repeated when the CDs arrived. I don't claim the most expertear. Neither am I a novice. I hear nuance and subtlety as any decent musicianmust.

HH

I totally could hear the difference in the horn sound between the Bb and the Gsthat year.

The overtone series is what did it for me. I didn't hear the same overtones between the twohorns, and it really diminished the sound a bit for me. I won't go into it too much (this isn't a Gvs Bb thread), but Boo is correct, the Bbs sound more "symphonic" comparedto the Gs. Maybe that's because of thedifferent overtone series and the keys that are being played. I think the Gs have a more "raw"and "edgier" sound, which I miss hearing from a top DCI line.

Of course I'm the kind of person that appreciates the differences between similar instruments such as: cornets, trumpets, flugels; tenor trombone, bass trombone, euphonium, serpent tongue.gif, and baritone; Wagner Tuba, sousaphone, F,E, C, or B Tuba, and hélicon. I know, I know, they all sound the same right? There is not difference in sound between a trumpet, a cornet, and a flugel horn right? Yes, I know I'm being difficult because most people would recognize the difference between the instruments in my list.

Edit: Fixed a couple of problems that I swear were not there in Word, where I usually types these comment. I would have noticed the spelling problems.

I think there is a pasting issue, or a user issue... tongue.gif The fonts are still squirrely...

Edited by jjeffeory

Guard often uses a lot of spandex-type materials. Not saying it would be pretty. Just saying.

HH

Geez, even I need eye bleach after imagining that.