Rockford, IL to get it's very own Junior Corps. We'll about t

ROCKFORD (WIFR, Rockford's #1 News Source) -- Aspiring young musicians get the chance to lead Rockford’s annual 4th of July parade as part of a newly formed marching band.

There it is in print folks!!!

I don't mind if they call it "Fred" as long as they pull it off, get some new kids playing brass and percussion, and give other communities the idea to try the same.

And even though it would be the equivalent of a parade corps, (which many may not remember ever existing), I can understand the logic of someone in town supporting the idea not wanting to call it a drum corps, as people in town would instantly think of Phantom Regiment. When you have one of the world's greatest marching ensembles in your community, it casts a long shadow. Calling it "marching band" would remove that comparison.

Either way, bravo to them for trying and I hope someone in the area can let us know how it worked out. I seriously would go check it out myself as it's not that far from where my brother lives, but I'm in charge of the 4th of July parade in my own community.

I don't mind if they call it "Fred" as long as they pull it off, get some new kids playing brass and percussion, and give other communities the idea to try the same.

And even though it would be the equivalent of a parade corps, (which many may not remember ever existing), I can understand the logic of someone in town supporting the idea not wanting to call it a drum corps, as people in town would instantly think of Phantom Regiment. When you have one of the world's greatest marching ensembles in your community, it casts a long shadow. Calling it "marching band" would remove that comparison.

Either way, bravo to them for trying and I hope someone in the area can let us know how it worked out. I seriously would go check it out myself as it's not that far from where my brother lives, but I'm in charge of the 4th of July parade in my own community.

I'll be there (after the ride home from the Cedarburg 4th of July parade) and will take some pictures. This seems to be co-sponsored by the sponsor of the parade and fireworks show, Joe Marino / Project First Rate, so I know it is going to be well done and well received.