Parking Lot Videos

I am sure you’ve all seen the drumline parking lot videos, but where did all this originate? I’ll tell you, in the Boogie Down Bronx.

Long before Vic Firth et al, were in the mix, Ron Person and Shawn Simons were out there changing the game forever.

Ron and Shawn both marched with the CMCC Warriors back in the 80’s. And out of this experience grew their love of drumming and the presence of mind to capture those pre-show drumline moments ‘in the lot.’

They realized that the notes in the parking lot was where the real action was taking place.

In fact, they were so much into the parking lot notes that I don’t think they even bothered to go in and check out the shows.

After ageing out, Ron went on to teach with the CMCC, NY Lancers and Spirit of Newark, while Shawn did some driving for the Crossmen back in the 90’s.

Ron currently resides in Tampa, FL and Shawn is living in NYC.

Before there were the Slick Vic productions, Ron and Shawn were out there just for the love of it!

There may not be a World Class drum corps in NYC, but there are World Class drum corps people in NYC!

Thank you, Ron and Shawn, the originators of the Parking Lot Videos.

BHM+1

the parking lot videos can be cool. Often though, IMO, it leads people to focus on the wrong things at all levels.

How many times have seen a team jamming beats on some cool warmup....and then can't play a #### clean tap roll the entire show?

• Like 1

gotta love those lot corps... sound great in the lot, go on the field can't play a thing right.

It's amazing what happens when you actually have to march and play.

I like to watch lots every once in awhile. But why you want to watch a drum line warm-up over watching the show is beyond me. Unless they are running show segs it's pointless. Same with horn lines. If they aren't doing history bits, cool loud chord progressions or show segs it pointless. Just go watch the show.

• Like 1

Come on guys. The lot is the best part. It's where all the diehards hang out, and besides, most drummers don't like to march anyway. They just do it because they have to.

gotta love those lot corps... sound great in the lot, go on the field can't play a thing right.

It's amazing what happens when you actually have to march and play.

I like to watch lots every once in awhile. But why you want to watch a drum line warm-up over watching the show is beyond me. Unless they are running show segs it's pointless. Same with horn lines. If they aren't doing history bits, cool loud chord progressions or show segs it pointless. Just go watch the show.

Well, until the last two or three years, a lot of the lot stuff was far more entertaining for most corps than boring music they put on the field, brass and percussion.

• Like 1

Well, until the last two or three years, a lot of the lot stuff was far more entertaining for most corps than boring music they put on the field, brass and percussion.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! (I'm looking at you BD)

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! (I'm looking at you BD)

Well, to be fair, I wasn't talking about the perennial top 3, so much as I was aiming that at, say, 6th-18th or so. I've found the more entertaining programs to be the ones at either end.

• Like 1