Drum corps phone home

A lot could be said about how different parenting was in general. The family structure then was full of accountability, responsibility, trust, and parents that were parents... not something else.

Wow, I sound old. I guess I'm nostalgic for traditional family values, even if I've been alive in an era of their decay.

since my first response to this was apparently over the line (sorry mods), I will just post this instead:

Citation-Needed-wikipedia-819731_500_271.jpg

you should be careful making blatant generalizations about entire generations of people

:thumbup:

better, thanks!

Phone home.......I remember coming back from 'tour' and finding one of these tucked under the bus

z-payphone-50.jpg

to this day, no one has ever told the story of who, how or where, or ever laid claim to it.

This story isn't about the year I marched, but rather on a year when cell phones were not allowed by my alma mater corps. I knew how important it was to be able to call home while on the road, so I did the following:

1. Scoured the member listing and found members who were rookies and who lived in my general area.

2. Went to Walmart and bought $25 phone cards for each of those members.

3. Wrote a brief note to each of the members and inserted the phone card.

4. At my hometown show that summer, I tracked down the director after the show, who then called each individual kid over where I introduced myself and gave them the envelope with the note and the card.

• Like 1

This story isn't about the year I marched, but rather on a year when cell phones were not allowed by my alma mater corps. I knew how important it was to be able to call home while on the road, so I did the following:

1. Scoured the member listing and found members who were rookies and who lived in my general area.

2. Went to Walmart and bought $25 phone cards for each of those members.

3. Wrote a brief note to each of the members and inserted the phone card.

4. At my hometown show that summer, I tracked down the director after the show, who then called each individual kid over where I introduced myself and gave them the envelope with the note and the card.

That was a wonderful gesture. I'm sure it was greatly appreciated.