Drum corps phone home

Free time and an unoccupied pay phone was a rare and highly valued commodity.

Free time and an unoccupied pay phone was a rare and highly valued commodity.

You may have to define the term "pay phone" for those born in the past couple of decades.

• Like 3

When I got bored on my nice, air-conditioned bus after watching some movies, I would pull out my phone, check my facebook, and play a few video games.

• Like 2

You may have to define the term "pay phone" for those born in the past couple of decades.

10 cents (a dime) for local calls on a pay phone with a rotary dial or call collect and hope your parents accept the charges :D btw threads like this remind me of Maxwell Smart and Dr. Who lol

Had a phone relay system. Director calls one number. She calls 10 numbers who call 10 numbers (without an area code) to say the girls will be arriving home from tour at 10 instead of 11 or at 11 instead of 10, depends if early or late so the parents can take them home :)

z-payphone-50.jpg

Edited by lindap

Four years marching, and I never used a pay phone before finals week while on tour. Around Thursday night of finals week I would make a collect call home and say something like "we should be home Monday at noon". After finals the corps would hit the road and as our final approach got closer I would call home with any adjustments to my pick up time.

I remember seeing the lines at the pay phone during the summer, but being one of six kids I don't think my family even knew I was gone, and I didn't miss them so I never had to call.

My wife, on the other hand, had to call her Mom from a pay phone at every possible opportunity to let her know she was still alive. Sometimes more than once a day if possible.

When I got bored on my nice, air-conditioned bus after watching some movies, I would pull out my phone, check my facebook, and play a few video games.

You had air-conditioned buses? In the mid-1970s, we had buses that were painted black with windows that wouldn't open so the heat generated would keep us from having to have our uniforms let out as we ate at McDonald's every day on tour. Plus, there was a wood-fired stove in the front to better re-create the Finnish sauna effect.

You had movies? We had to entertain ourselves by passing around old copies of Mad Magazine.

We were also required to fart into the natural gas system pipeline that ran from the back to the front of the bus that kept the blower directed towards the aforementioned wood-fired stove so it wouldn't burn out. If we didn't do so, our Mad Magazine privileges were suspended.

• Like 4