Corps under evaluation

I saw on the DCI site that there's a couple of corps "completing their evaluation process". I wish this would have happened with a few corps I was with back in the 80's, but I digress.

What does DCI look at?

Do they go to several camps and observe during the summer?

When do the corps get the word they're good to go?

Has anyone failed an evaluation?

If they fail, are the kids released to march another corps?

Does DCI evaluate current corps every few years?

What does DCI look at?

Do they go to several camps and observe during the summer?

When do the corps get the word they're good to go?

Has anyone failed an evaluation?

If they fail, are the kids released to march another corps?

Does DCI evaluate current corps every few years?

DCI pretty much looks at everything about the organization (financials, membership, staff, equipment, etc). I believe you typically find out within a couple weeks of the final evaluation. Not sure about the history of anyone failing or not, however I believe there is a cutoff date in DCI on when you can legally switch from corps A to corps B.

I recently read that Revolution and Forte are both being evaluated this year. However, DCI.org doesn't list either corps on the season schedule, so I don't know if that is any indication of their statuses...

Anyone have any information?

I recently read that Revolution and Forte are both being evaluated this year. However, DCI.org doesn't list either corps on the season schedule, so I don't know if that is any indication of their statuses...

Anyone have any information?

It is standard to leave them off the "public" schedule until evaluations are over. Gulf Coast Sound (DCA-Houston) showed up on the DCI website within a week of us passing the evaluation in 2006-ish, but we were tentatively scheduled in a show months before that. I suspect it will be the same with Revolution and Forte, and final evaluations are likely during the May camps because that is when the full guard and drumlines are back after WGI finals.

Well, I'm not an official spokesperson, but as one of the few staff members not busy with camp this weekend, allow me to chime in.

Revolution is going strong.

Evaluations are ongoing / have been completed, but it's not my role to discuss that.

Honestly, I wasn't there, so I can't speak to the process.

There are some really exciting things going on with the group, and financially I can say they have turned a HUGE corner.

It's Revo, so you know a few things already.

Smokin' Drumline

Smokin' Guard

Smokin' Hornline.

I will karma-cap myself and say that at this point we're all just keeping our heads down, and we'll be happy to be a little bit of a dark horse in the race. But this new administration has completely turned the org. around from a $$ perspective, from a vibe perspective, and They are in it for the right reasons. Anyone who had concerns about Revo at the end of 2011 will feel nothing but Hype for us after 2012.

Right now the corps is at a special performance, and they'll be getting back to work on the competition show over the rest of the weekend.

I'll let the more detailed post-camp report fill in all the blanks, but we're all good.

We better be, because I'm going to camp next month to teach some sick Drew Farmer drill, and listen to some sweet sounds....

I need that in my life!!!!

And I hope Forte is in the same boat

....so we can all have a little more Drum Corps in our lives this year....

Go Open Class!

• Like 1

Forte had to be re-evaluated due to the change in administration and things that happened during the 2010-2011 seasons.

In other words, Forte seems to be in the same boat as Revolution. Financially things are improving. All sections have improved.

Texas can handle four drum corps. 'nuff said.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies It still doesn't answer the question of what happens if a corps does not pass the evaluation. Do they need to fix discrepancies and then ok'd or are they told try again later after you get your house in order? Are the kids released out of their contracts? Is there schedule stripped to local shows only? I hope this never happens, but what if?

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies It still doesn't answer the question of what happens if a corps does not pass the evaluation. Do they need to fix discrepancies and then ok'd or are they told try again later after you get your house in order? Are the kids released out of their contracts? Is there schedule stripped to local shows only? I hope this never happens, but what if?

Can't help you. I would suggest contacting DCI on this one.

Still no clue what happens if you don't pass.

I do know that the corps has a deadline of January 15th of the competing year to apply to be a DCI member corps then they have until April 15th to have an evaluation.

DCI looks at your production, your staff, your business plan & current/future budget, non-profit status, proper insurance, proper music rights, how you plan to raise money, what money you currently owe, your current equipment situation, your travel situation, uniform status, ability to provide food (healthy food), medical needs, etc.

Lots of details.

I'd assume that if a corps doesn't think it'll pass evaluation, it won't apply for it (or will cancel it). DCI lays it out pretty simple for you.

• Like 1

Don't know the answer either, but only the rule administraters can answer, so call them. I hope the answer would be that you may participate, but not receive an official score, although I would hope you receive an evaluation.

Kevin