Southeast Asia

So let me begin by saying that, as far as I know, there are no current drum corps in southeast Asia. However, recently I have been bombarded with friend requests from members of an Indonesian marching band. I don't really know how they found me or determined that I am a drum corps marcher/internationally-focused person, but many of them have become good friends through our conversations and they definitely have a passion for the activity. I started looking into this more, and learned that they are definitely not the only marching band in Indonesia let alone southeast Asia. There are also several ensembles in Singapore and Malaysia, among the other countries there. In fact, the Blue Devils recently hosted a successful System Blue clinic in Malaysia. Since I am planning to join the Peace Corps and my preferred area was already southeast Asia before I learned about any of this, I got really excited.

So I guess my question, under the assumption that some of you have already known about the activity there before I did, what is the potential for drum corps in the region? I know there is a successful drum corps in Taiwan already that did a couple of DCI tours, but what about the countries I mentioned? The interest is certainly there to start one domestically. My other question is whether individual southeast Asian musicians have had any presence in Drum Corps International or other outside circuits in recent history. I know plenty of people come from Japan and Europe to march here so it's not out of the question, but I've never really heard anything about it until I started talking to the members of this Indonesian marching band.

Any information provided will help. I may or may not get involved with this depending on what happens with the Peace Corps, but it's certainly interesting and will help me communicate with my new friends about the activity better.

Edited by MetalTones2012

• 4 months later...