What did you do next

I know some years we have heard of around 1,000 young people trying out for a single corps, like Cavaliers, Cadets, Blue Devils, etc. If this number is anywhere near accurate, that means that approximately 850 auditioned, and did not make the cut.

So for anyone who has been cut during auditions from any corps, what did you do next? Did you audition for another corps? Did you practice extremely hard and audition for the same corps the next year? Did you get frustrated and give up altogether?

I will be sharing the answers given during this discussion with my band students. Every year towards the end of the school year, we spend a day talking about music and our life. What band has meant to them, whether they want a career in music, or whether they may have even taken band as an easy graded course. And I have to give credit to the few each year that actually do say they took it for an easy A. But as long as they have followed the criteria, they do receive their A. I would say however, that probably 75-80% of our band students are also involved in choir, orchestra, or theater. And so many of them will be auditioning for something in their lives in the future. There are so many reasons, and so many options that it is understandable if someone misses a cut, and for any reason has to give up(financial reasons, travel arrangement, family problems, etc)

It is a shame every person that auditions couldn't make the corps they audition for. I am personally glad as a high school band director, we don't have to turn down anyone that comes into the program. And of course I hope that after 4 years, no matter what the reason the student joined, that we have made a positive influence on them somehow.

But back to the topic, what is the next step after you are cut during an audition? And I know it can be frustrating, so I can understand for those of you who were cut and don't want to answer.

• Like 1

I know some years we have heard of around 1,000 young people trying out for a single corps, like Cavaliers, Cadets, Blue Devils, etc. If this number is anywhere near accurate, that means that approximately 850 auditioned, and did not make the cut.

So for anyone who has been cut during auditions from any corps, what did you do next? Did you audition for another corps? Did you practice extremely hard and audition for the same corps the next year? Did you get frustrated and give up altogether?

I will be sharing the answers given during this discussion with my band students. Every year towards the end of the school year, we spend a day talking about music and our life. What band has meant to them, whether they want a career in music, or whether they may have even taken band as an easy graded course. And I have to give credit to the few each year that actually do say they took it for an easy A. But as long as they have followed the criteria, they do receive their A. I would say however, that probably 75-80% of our band students are also involved in choir, orchestra, or theater. And so many of them will be auditioning for something in their lives in the future. There are so many reasons, and so many options that it is understandable if someone misses a cut, and for any reason has to give up(financial reasons, travel arrangement, family problems, etc)

It is a shame every person that auditions couldn't make the corps they audition for. I am personally glad as a high school band director, we don't have to turn down anyone that comes into the program. And of course I hope that after 4 years, no matter what the reason the student joined, that we have made a positive influence on them somehow.

But back to the topic, what is the next step after you are cut during an audition? And I know it can be frustrating, so I can understand for those of you who were cut and don't want to answer.

DCP ers are a very small percentage of the drum corps community......Members who frequent here are even less......Not making a judgement ....just an observation being that I do 2 corps and consulut for an all age corps/

DCP ers are a very small percentage of the drum corps community......Members who frequent here are even less......Not making a judgement ....just an observation being that I do 2 corps and consulut for an all age corps/

I am aware of that. And it doesn't have to be someone from this year. I am talking any year, any person who has been cut from an audition for a drum corps. I am sure there have to be some people on DCP that have been cut at some point. However, if they aren't able to talk about it out of frustration, I completely understand.

• Like 1

I am aware of that. And it doesn't have to be someone from this year. I am talking any year, any person who has been cut from an audition for a drum corps. I am sure there have to be some people on DCP that have been cut at some point. However, if they aren't able to talk about it out of frustration, I completely understand.

Me, I went to a late lunch. What else was there to do?

I went to my camp/audition very well prepared musically, but totally naive as to the visual demands and techniques that would be required from a drum corps. I had gone to a high school that did their first field show in a decade my junior year, and the visual demands/techniques required of me from that "field show in a box" design were very basic. After high school, I had only done concert in college. I didn't have any "voice of experience" I could refer to for what would be expected of me (side story: three years prior I was planning to tryout for the Freelancers, but the corps folded a week or two before the weekend tryout I was going to attend).

Sure, I wish I could go back in time and practice my marching for, oh, a year or two before my tryout and change history... but it is what it is.

I auditioned for Phantom in 08.

I was well prepared musically.

Physically I was not in the greatest shape.

I feel like I held up technique wise, but it was a huge pool. I personally thought my visual audition went really well, in fact got some good comments from other visual staff, but Tony Hall didn't like me so much, haha. Also I didn't bring my own horn with me, and used one of the corps horns in my music audition. I never played a King Euphonium except for warm-ups the night before and playing the music audition part while holding the horn up did not go well.

I was also extremely dehydrated.

So my music audition was not great. I just flubbed it. Which ###### me off, because my actual playing capability was far beyond what I demonstrated. I also learned after the fact that I could have auditioned musically on my trombone. The way the audition packet was worded sounded like you had to audition on a marching horn... so I was already at a disadvantage. But who cares... I ####ed up.

So they send their cut list to other corps. I got plenty of emails. I even registered to audition at Surf, since they were local.

I was also became friends with the horn captain at Crossmen who I went to school with.

I wasn't really interested in marching there. I liked a lot of shows in the past, but I wasn't really cool with the whole Texas thing. I also had a lot dialogue with Blue Stars, and had a spot as long as I showed up to a camp and wasn't a complete #### bag.

I decided to go to Crossmen's January camp, I knew a few people in the line already, so I felt I would be more comfortable. Well I didn't make it to that camp... which is a long story in its self. But I finally made it to February camp.

Traveling there was a huge mess but luckily I traveled with 3 other people. And had a drum corps horror story before I was even a part of one.

Didn't officially make the line after that camp. But I was told that they usually take two camps to decide everyone anyway.

I eventually made the line... was supposed to play lead too... but there was a lack of bigger guys so I switched to euph, well they ripped the bari out of my hands and forced me to hold the euph.

The rest is an amazing time my rookie year, and now I have family for life.

My advice? Believe in yourself. Work hard. Don't ever give up. I wanted to give up, I honestly had an awful time at regiment's audition camp. Playing with 300 horns was great, but it wasn't for me, some of the staff seemed a little too proud of themselves, and that went hand in hand with the vets. That was just a first impression though... I'm sure if I made the line and went on tour I would have had a great time. And hey, they won a ring too :) But I did find it interesting that two people from Crossmen tried out and made Phantom's horn line in 2008 and went through many camps. One even learned most the opener drill I believe. But something pulled them back to Crossmen. Neither were cut. They heard the Crossmen had holes, and they just couldn't help but come back.

It's a tight family at the Crossmen, and I am so glad that I ended up there. Great experience. Great friends. Might not have done as well competitively, but the whole experience was worth it all.

• Like 4

Both years I marched I had started by auditioning at a top 6 corps. Got cut both times. Went out and found a place to march. Went to Cap Reg based on the recommendation from a friend, went to Glassmen because I had a lot of friends marching there (and it was REALLY close to home).

Had a great time both years and met the love of my life in 09.

Sure, getting cut sucked at the time, but I think I came out on top.

• Like 3

I was dead set on marching for the Madison Scouts, and had been preparing for a long time, and had a few friends who marched in the corps the year before as well who thought I was good enough. I got a callback at my first camp, but got cut when the callback camp came around. I was very discouraged at the time, but a few friends talked me into finding somewhere to march, and, well, I really wanted to march for a finalist corps, so being the person I am, I found out the Bluecoats had one trumpet spot left, so I video auditioned for them, got invited to their callback camp, and got a contract at that camp. I think that really goes to show that you should never give up on trying to march where you want, because if you really try your best, there's somewhere for you out there. Now, maybe not everyone will be as lucky as me and end up getting contracted for a "higher placing" corps while getting cut for one that doesn't place as high, but there's always somewhere you can march.

My son had his heart set on marching Cavaliers. When he was 16 he went up there and it was not a great situation- he got forgotten at the bus station, his horn got damaged, and when he got there, he found it wasn't a fit at all for him. Nonetheless, he got a callback to a second camp. However, he just decided that marching DCI wasn't for him- then I got him hooked up with Spirit (the brass caption head worked here at Auburn with me). He marched with Spirit for two years, Boston for a year, and now is in his second summer with Blue Devils- and is having the time of his life. I know people might criticize his jumping between corps, but because he is a music education major, I have encourage him to learn as many different ways of teaching and doing things as possible, and he has done that in spades. My advice? There are a lot of open doors we never see, and it only becomes clear later when we look back how easily we could have done something else and been as happy or happier. If you really want to march, there will be, as others have said, a spot for you somewhere.

• Like 1

I was cut from the Cadets in '95 after two camps. I went home, marched Bluegrass Brass senior corps (who's season ended at DCM finals). I packed a month's worth of clothes and took it to a show in Seveirville, TN and went to every souvie trailer asking if there were holes. The Crossmen said yes, I auditioned for Barry Hudson after the show, and got on the bus. Rest is history, I guess.