Belleville Review

I know how I feel, Any review is better than NO review, so here’s my Belleville review.

We spent the day in Cape Vincent NY doing a parade and concert in a steady drizzel and gusting winds. But the good folks of Cape were very appreciative and we love the giant beers for $2.00. Unfortunately, due to some over zelous border folks and too many bubbly after the concert, we were late getting to the show, and missed St. Joe’s. (I really wanted to see them) and because of the full house, as usual. I got to “stand” at the 35yrd line. So no chance to check out the drill tonight and my numbers maybe slightly off.

Cool, windy night with clouds threatening all evening, but good crowd on hand.

Brigs: Full corps. First half of their show was seen from the endzone (burger truck location) but once I got my spot, I felt I was watching last years show. I prefer this years music, especially the Chase tune, but definitely no sudden urge to “stand” and cheer. I found last years show bland & this year seems only slightly better. I hope they add some oomph!

Definitely best pit & battery tonight. The guard seem polished, but the uni’s hurt my eyes and I wish someone would tell the hornline, not to play to the upper deck, when there is no upper deck,(habits are hard to change) then perhaps the crowd would’ve felt more like giving a couple spontaneous standing O’s. I look forward to the Cab show down.

Grenadiers: 30H/9s/4q/5b/5c/6p/20g Huge drumline! Too big for the hornline, severe overpowering. I really wanted to get excited for the Grenediers, but the show just didn’t do it. This is only their second show, so lots of hesitation and forgotten parts. 7 point jump from first show with Lot’s of room for improvement & growth.

Horn line was very hesitant. The arrangements seem good, but another 10 horns would sure help. The drumline had the busiest book of the night. Definitely ”in your face” with Extreme exposure. The guard is the biggest in years, but almost invisible. Opposite of the Brigs, they need more color and better staging. With lots of work they’ll be there. Go Grenediers!

Crusaders: 46?h/7s/3q/5b/?c/6p/15?g I haven’t been a big Cru fan over the past couple years. Something about the music? But, THIS I LIKE! WOW! and I’m not a classical lover. Love the new uniforms, perfect for the show. First corps tonight that would’ve got me out of my seat several times, if I was sitting. Great hornline. The drumline has a very “safe” book, they could beef it up a lot. The guard was small but well staged and noticeable. Most enjoyable show of the night for me.

Scout House:40h/ 20?d (found a seat in the stands) Slightly smaller than at last years DCA show, but I think they put on a better performance. Horns had more power & with a couple new numbers , the crowd loved them. They put on a full field drill with confidence and received several standing O’s.

Toronto Sig’s:22h/ 12d I really felt for these guys, because of the day they had. They were in Cape Vincent with us, earlier in the day.(rain & wind) They must’ve found the same over zelous border folks as we did. (1 ½ hr to get across) Then their bus broke down. They were announced as a no show earlier in the show, but made it at the last minute. They put on a spirited performance and got the crowd off the bleachers several times. Truly deserving of a “Toughing it Out” trophy.

That’s all for now

Larry Callaghan

Kawartha Kavaliers

Lindsay Ontario